Re: [midatlanticretro] Yay! 1130 on display now

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 10, 2011
      >>> Hard to tell from that photo but I assume it's much cleaned up from when we loaded it from the Jamesburg house.

      Yes. Brian and Norm (both of www.ibm1130.com) came to VCF from Berkeley, California to clean up and evaluate this unit on the show floor. Before they even arrived, Jeff J. de-mouse-poop'd it. So now it is in good shape. Needs some more exterior cleaning, new hydraulic prop for the printer top, and also new plexiglass for the printer top.

      Making the computer operable is a long way off. There is a lot of internal rust.

      But it's a terrific display. I will make signage, etc., and we have room in the exhibit for all the manuals and tapes too.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 10, 2011
        On 7/10/11 4:16 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > Jeff B., Matt M, and myself finished clearing the stuff from behind
        > the Room 1 exhibit, moved the cubicle wall out of the way, and put
        > the entire 1130 on display in there. It looks great. The new ramps
        > and new pavement @ InfoAge made the job MUCH easier than before when
        > we had curbs and potholes.
        >
        > We also took delivery today of a DEC PDP-11/44 that was used by a
        > newspaper in Hunterdon, NJ. (Sorry Dave M., it wasn't from the
        > Trentonian.) Guy in the picture is the person who donated it.

        Ahh, bummer. But very cool; that's a big 11/44 system!

        > See attached pics... when I get home tonight I'll put them online.

        Gorgeous!!

        Dave McGuire
        Port Charlotte, FL
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 10, 2011
          > Jeff B., Matt M, and myself finished clearing the stuff from behind the Room 1 exhibit

          Correction: Jeff and Matt cleared the stuff from behind Room 1, I was
          giving a tour to Paul C. (who donated the 11/44).

          > put the entire 1130 on display in there. It looks great.

          After we took the pictures, we switched the computer and the card
          reader, so now the punch and the reader are adjacent, with the computer
          next to them, and the printer after that -- seems like a more logical
          order of operations, so to speak ...... no new pics though.

          About 10 minutes after we finished, a couple of visitors walked in, and
          they were impressed with the display! Great timing. :)
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 10, 2011
            >>> We also took delivery today of a DEC PDP-11/44

            I always forget stuff .... big thanks to Steve G. for operating the
            forklift today. Couldn't have done this job without that, because the
            system was delivered in the back of a pickup truck.
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 10, 2011
              > Jeff B., Matt M, and myself finished clearing the stuff from behind the
              > Room 1 exhibit

              *** I also finished clearing out Room 6. The two display cases. Dan
              Wobser from IXR helped me with that. So now Infoage can have at it and
              clear out their stuff and paint it.
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 10, 2011
                At 08:23 PM 7/10/2011, you wrote:

                >I always forget stuff .... big thanks to Steve G. for operating the
                >forklift today. Couldn't have done this job without that, because the
                >system was delivered in the back of a pickup truck.

                It was Steve's birthday (according to facebook.com) last week too.

                bd
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 10, 2011
                  > It was Steve's birthday (according to facebook.com) last week too.

                  Yesterday, actually ....
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 10, 2011
                    >> Jeff B., Matt M, and myself finished clearing the stuff from behind the
                    >> Room 1 exhibit
                    > *** I also finished clearing out Room 6. The two display cases. Dan
                    > Wobser from IXR helped me with that. So now Infoage can have at it and
                    > clear out their stuff and paint it.

                    Any chance you found my brain in there?
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 21, 2012
                      Another PDP-11/44 is being delivered to our museum at noon tomorrow. Not sure yet how it compares to our other one.