Re: Help testing a C128D video issue

  • azog.thoth
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2011
      Well, this is all part and parcel of the issue. I picked this C128D up about three years ago, and do not have a Commodore monitor. Based on this forum (http://www.commodore128.org/index.php?topic=453.msg3349#msg3349), I acquired the same converter to connect it to a VGA monitor.

      However, I feel the issue goes beyond the convert to the C128D video itself, because before even acquiring this video adapter, I attempted to use 80 column monochrome on a composite video display, which also did not work. Pin 7 of the 9-pin video port provides monochrome 80 column mode, so all you need to do is connect it (and gnd) to an RCA jack. I did this years ago on my original C128D, and this forum reaffirms my memory (http://www.commodore128.org/index.php?topic=1725.0)

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2011
        At 09:11 AM 7/8/2011, you wrote:
        >Well, this is all part and parcel of the issue. I picked this C128D
        >up about three years ago, and do not have a Commodore monitor. Based
        >on this forum
        >(http://www.commodore128.org/index.php?topic=453.msg3349#msg3349), I
        >acquired the same converter to connect it to a VGA monitor.

        That's very possibly your problem.

        >However, I feel the issue goes beyond the convert to the C128D video
        >itself, because before even acquiring this video adapter, I
        >attempted to use 80 column monochrome on a composite video display,
        >which also did not work. Pin 7 of the 9-pin video port provides
        >monochrome 80 column mode, so all you need to do is connect it (and
        >gnd) to an RCA jack. I did this years ago on my original C128D, and
        >this forum reaffirms my memory
        >(http://www.commodore128.org/index.php?topic=1725.0)

        I would suggest regardless you get a Commodore 1950 or 1802 and try
        those, with the proper cable (four wire). It's very possible that
        I am wrong, but I would rule out the possibility that you have the
        wrong monitor/cable combination first. I know that with the Amiga
        systems this is also an issue.

        Bil Herd, if he's monitoring this thread would be the authority on the subject.