Re: OT: The future back in 1982

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 6, 2011
      >> The books "The Victorian Internet" and "Wired Love"
      >> show how long distance instant communications
      >> had similar implications over 100 years ago!

      > Never heard of "Wired Love" (sounds kinky!)

      Perhaps it was 130 yrs ago when morse code telegraphers
      were inventing tweeting and Twitter :-)

      Wired Love: A Romance Of Dots And Dashes (1880)
      by Ella Cheever Thayer

      One review mentioned getting a free e-copy
      since it's public domain.
      I heard a little of it read on NPR.

      It's a free Google e-book but I'm unsure how to list the URL without my personal ID showing. The ID field is required for it to work. Unless it's the book ID and not my ID, unsure :"/
    • darren_outatime
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 9, 2011
        I started reading "Wired Love" today and I have to admit it's pretty good so far. It has also sparked my interest in the history of telegraph messaging.

        A downloadable copy can be found on the Project Gutenberg website: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24353

        Also, I was able to download an ebook copy of the book to read on my Apple Newton (other electronic formats are available as well, such as Kindle, Sony, Adobe PDF, RTF, etc): http://www.manybooks.net/titles/thayere2435324353.html

        Take care,
        Darren (outatime)