Re: [midatlanticretro] This Sunday -- new machine arriving ....

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
      > Not a hospital, a local newspaper in the Trenton area.

      Ah okay.

      > When is a good day to come to InfoAge to work on the IMSAI, or to pick it up?

      Sunday(s) are always best for me. Also most Wednesday evenings. Or you
      could come any other time by arranging it with Steve G.; he has access
      to all of our rooms and storage.
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

        >--MymDUuAlmPn8POHH4b5LHwwucwIxRhZ47MsMhMm Content-Type: text/plain;
        >charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
        >

        >> Not a hospital, a local newspaper in the Trenton area.
        >
        >Ah okay.

        There was an application used, and still in use, by many newspapers to take
        in classified advertisement and determine how to typeset them for newspaper
        column format. I buddy of mine was the brainchild behind it.
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
          system@... writes:

          >There was an application used, and still in use, by many newspapers to
          >take in classified advertisement and determine how to typeset them for
          >newspaper column format. I buddy of mine was the brainchild behind it.

          FYI, it was called AdStar.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
            On 7/6/11 3:50 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
            >> We're getting a PDP-11/44 this Sunday at noon. Bill Degnan knows the
            >> most about it; as I understand it, this system was used in a hospital
            >> and is in great condition.
            >
            > Not a hospital, a local newspaper in the Trenton area.

            Whoa, what newspaper? I was born in Trenton, and my mother was a
            reporter at a major Trenton paper (The Trentonian) in the early 1970s.
            Just last week, four decades later, she was tapped by them again to do
            some writing. Also, the only nontechnical job I've ever had was
            delivering that very newspaper around my apartment complex in
            Mercerville when I was ~13 in the early 1980s.

            Another tie-in...On the way out of VCF-E, I stopped and visited one
            of my mother's journalism mentors, a neat old guy named Jack Knarr who I
            haven't seen since I could barely walk, and he gave me some machines. I
            came out of his storage locker with an Osborne 1, an Osborne Vixen, a
            Teleray, and some other fun stuff.

            (now it'd just figure if that PDP-11/44 came from a newspaper other
            than The Trentonian, but it's one of the two biggies in Trenton)

            Dave McGuire
            Port Charlotte, FL
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
                > >>no easy way to get into the H building, much less with a heavy forklift.

                You might be surprised at how maneuverable the forklift is ... I've seen Nels/Steve get it into very tight corners. Worst case, he'll bring it into the adjacent H-section, where there is a loading ramp. A pallet jack would do the final mile.