This Sunday -- new machine arriving ....

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
      Hi all,

      We're getting a PDP-11/44 this Sunday at noon. Bill Degnan knows the
      most about it; as I understand it, this system was used in a hospital
      and is in great condition.

      It's on a pallet and Steve will drive the InfoAge forklift, so we
      shouldn't need much (if any) schlepping assistance.

      After it's safely tucked away in our H-building storage area, then we'll
      move the last two of our display cases from Room 6; everything else in
      that room belongs to InfoAge and so will be moved elsewhere by other
      people. InfoAge folks will renovate the room, perhaps with MARCH's help;
      those details are to be determined in the next few weeks. When it's done
      we can make a fun exhibit in there.

      We'll focus most of the afternoon on clearing the remaining stuff from
      behind our Room 1 exhibit (big iron). Then we can expand that exhibit
      with more equipment .... I am excited about that!!! Rumor has it that
      our recently cleaned-by-experts iBM 1130 will fit nicely. :)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011

        > Hi all,
        >
        > We're getting a PDP-11/44 this Sunday at noon. Bill Degnan knows the
        > most about it; as I understand it, this system was used in a hospital
        > and is in great condition.

        Not a hospital, a local newspaper in the Trenton area.

        When is a good day to come to InfoAge to work on the IMSAI, or to pick it
        up? Is there anyone in the NJ area interested in coming down this weekend
        to scavenge through my garage sale items who could also deliver the IMSAI
        from MARCH so I can work on it (to re-sell and raise $$ for the club)?

        No biggie if not. Hope all is well

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
          > Not a hospital, a local newspaper in the Trenton area.

          Ah okay.

          > When is a good day to come to InfoAge to work on the IMSAI, or to pick it up?

          Sunday(s) are always best for me. Also most Wednesday evenings. Or you
          could come any other time by arranging it with Steve G.; he has access
          to all of our rooms and storage.
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
            Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

            >--MymDUuAlmPn8POHH4b5LHwwucwIxRhZ47MsMhMm Content-Type: text/plain;
            >charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
            >

            >> Not a hospital, a local newspaper in the Trenton area.
            >
            >Ah okay.

            There was an application used, and still in use, by many newspapers to take
            in classified advertisement and determine how to typeset them for newspaper
            column format. I buddy of mine was the brainchild behind it.
          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
              system@... writes:

              >There was an application used, and still in use, by many newspapers to
              >take in classified advertisement and determine how to typeset them for
              >newspaper column format. I buddy of mine was the brainchild behind it.

              FYI, it was called AdStar.
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
                On 7/6/11 3:50 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
                >> We're getting a PDP-11/44 this Sunday at noon. Bill Degnan knows the
                >> most about it; as I understand it, this system was used in a hospital
                >> and is in great condition.
                >
                > Not a hospital, a local newspaper in the Trenton area.

                Whoa, what newspaper? I was born in Trenton, and my mother was a
                reporter at a major Trenton paper (The Trentonian) in the early 1970s.
                Just last week, four decades later, she was tapped by them again to do
                some writing. Also, the only nontechnical job I've ever had was
                delivering that very newspaper around my apartment complex in
                Mercerville when I was ~13 in the early 1980s.

                Another tie-in...On the way out of VCF-E, I stopped and visited one
                of my mother's journalism mentors, a neat old guy named Jack Knarr who I
                haven't seen since I could barely walk, and he gave me some machines. I
                came out of his storage locker with an Osborne 1, an Osborne Vixen, a
                Teleray, and some other fun stuff.

                (now it'd just figure if that PDP-11/44 came from a newspaper other
                than The Trentonian, but it's one of the two biggies in Trenton)

                Dave McGuire
                Port Charlotte, FL
              • Jeffrey Brace
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
                    > >>no easy way to get into the H building, much less with a heavy forklift.

                    You might be surprised at how maneuverable the forklift is ... I've seen Nels/Steve get it into very tight corners. Worst case, he'll bring it into the adjacent H-section, where there is a loading ramp. A pallet jack would do the final mile.