Re: [midatlanticretro] Ferg Big Board

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
      > Please also confirm which one MARCH needs for the Xerox 820, and why
      > is this board also made for the Xerox. I have not done any research
      > about the relationship between the bigboard and the Xerox 820.

      They were the same design. I had a BB back in 1983 or so and have all the
      issues of Micro Cornucopia magazine, which was the BB user group journal.
      I forget if the 820 was the exact same board or not, but seem to remember
      it was a slightly different design or at least board layout.

      The BB was a really great machine... standard parts, clean design, lots of
      enhancements could be done, and the user community was extremely friendly.
      The publisher of MC had a Semi Official Get-together (SOG) each year at
      their house in Bend, OR. It was a long weekend of rafting, picnicing,
      technical discussions and board building for the BB users.

      Bob
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
        Thanks Bob. I know we have discussed this before, but I wanted to be
        sure MARCH got something it could use for the Xerox 820.
        bd

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
          On 07/06/2011 09:38 AM, Bob Applegate wrote:
          >> Please also confirm which one MARCH needs for the Xerox 820, and why
          >> is this board also made for the Xerox. I have not done any research
          >> about the relationship between the bigboard and the Xerox 820.
          >
          > They were the same design. I had a BB back in 1983 or so and have all the
          > issues of Micro Cornucopia magazine, which was the BB user group journal.
          > I forget if the 820 was the exact same board or not, but seem to remember
          > it was a slightly different design or at least board layout.

          The electrical design is almost identical, but the PCB layout is
          different.

          I have a Xerox 820 board that I'd happily swap for a Ferguson Big
          Board, if anyone wants to do that.

          Dave McGuire
          Port Charlotte, FL
        • elazzerini@interfree.it
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
            Hi at all of you,
            please excuse me for my poor English.

            My present in this group born cause a friend of me Luigi Serrantoni http://www.computerhistory.it/ was registered in MARCH.
            He told me about someone (Bill) who sold a couple of Bigboard. (I'm curious to know if were Bigboard I or instead BigboardII and also to see their pictures)
            I written all the history of mine one at my website http://elazzerini.interfree.it/Bigboard%201/index-en.htm in english language.

            My passion started on October 2007 so not much time ago. My goal was to make the board alive and a friend of mine (Roberto Bazzano http://www.z80ne.com/default-e.asp) very much experienced of me in digital electronic made this dream TRUE just some weeks ago even booting CP/M OS ( I thanks for this Dave Dunfield with its imagedisk http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/ ).

            During those last years a made any kind of imaginable searches with google and ebay and in this way I collected all info I can.
            So in the website I got the goal to offer the possibility to understand those far years on which the Bigboard was born.

            The board I think has been the 1st SBC then Kaypro-II was a unlicensed copy with the same schematic ( I bougth one in the last may I added pics in my website but I have to test it) and Xerox 820-1 was a licensed copy with the same schematic ( I bougth one in the last may I added pics in my website but I have to test it). [the Xerox 820-2 was derived from Xerox 820-1 and the main difference was the FDC with which was possible to have 8" and 5"1/4 in SSSD and DSDD ways]

            So I'm opening my horizon to those kind of machines and also with an Italian machine born in the same period called General Processor T-model ( I bougth one in the last october I added some generic pics in my website but I will have to test it when I will have it at my home).

            I also collected some issues of Microcornucopia Magazine in paper and some other issues in digital way.
            I wish that this magazine remains in the history so with the help di Al Kossow (bitsavers.org)
            I collected all issues here http://enricolazzerini.interfree.it/

            Here http://elazzerini.interfree.it/Bigboard%201/06.Cerco/index-en.htm what i need and of course it's enough to ask for and if I have the info or knowledges I will help anybody who needs it.

            With this long presentation I hope to described my point of view so I thanks in advance who can and wish to give me some help.

            Regards
            Enrico – (Pisa The city with the leaning tower) - Italy
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
              It appears that I have 4 bigboards. Two are
              probably already set to act as XEROX 820-1's, one
              is not populated with chips (just the sockets), and one is "BAD".

              I took non-detailed pictures and I will upload soon.

              Bill

            • enrlaz
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 8, 2011
                Ciao Bill,
                i'm happy to know you could have 4 bigboards. I not understood what you said: "Two are probably already set to act as XEROX 820-1's", anyway i'm a little anxious to see ALL the photos.

                Enrico

                Pls: for all it is better to write the full name "Ferguson Bigboard" because let me say that it is impossible to find threads if tou change the size of the full name. Bigboard also has too many meanings (NYSE, scoreboard, etc.) Same thing for "Microcornucopia" I found some "microc" and sometimes is mistaken for micro-C + + compiler. thanks