Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: The future back in 1982

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4 8:26 PM
      >>> The books "The Victorian Internet" and "Wired Love" show how long
      distance instant communications had similar implications over 100 years ago!

      Never heard of "Wired Love" (sounds kinky!) but "The Victorian Internet"
      by Tom Standage is one of my favorite books. I highly recommend it to
      anyone who appreciates tech history.
    • Jeff Jonas
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 6 1:47 PM
        >> The books "The Victorian Internet" and "Wired Love"
        >> show how long distance instant communications
        >> had similar implications over 100 years ago!

        > Never heard of "Wired Love" (sounds kinky!)

        Perhaps it was 130 yrs ago when morse code telegraphers
        were inventing tweeting and Twitter :-)

        Wired Love: A Romance Of Dots And Dashes (1880)
        by Ella Cheever Thayer

        One review mentioned getting a free e-copy
        since it's public domain.
        I heard a little of it read on NPR.

        It's a free Google e-book but I'm unsure how to list the URL without my personal ID showing. The ID field is required for it to work. Unless it's the book ID and not my ID, unsure :"/
      • darren_outatime
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 9 7:05 PM
          I started reading "Wired Love" today and I have to admit it's pretty good so far. It has also sparked my interest in the history of telegraph messaging.

          A downloadable copy can be found on the Project Gutenberg website: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24353

          Also, I was able to download an ebook copy of the book to read on my Apple Newton (other electronic formats are available as well, such as Kindle, Sony, Adobe PDF, RTF, etc): http://www.manybooks.net/titles/thayere2435324353.html

          Take care,
          Darren (outatime)