Identifying a (PC JR ?) Token Ring Card

  • Degnan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2006
      Jim (and PC Jr folks)I have an IBM Token Ring card that's not for
      an IBM PC/XT, but I don't know if it's for microchannel either.
      How would I know whether this was for the PC JR? Did the Token Ring
      adapter hook on like a side car or was it installed internally?
      Is there a part number? The box is pink, I did not think to write
      down the exact part number but I can check it when I get home. I
      *think* it says something like "PC IIa" but I am not sure.
      Bill D
    • Brian Heise
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 25, 2006

        I have an IBM Cluster adapter card at home and will take a look at it.  From your description though, it appears to be (If for a PCjr) a PC NET IIjr.  The Net IIjr was a sidecar produced by AST.  It is very likely however, that there would have been an internal card made for the PCjr as well.  PCE made an internal 2400baud Hayes compat. modem, for instance; though I do not think they made an internal token ring adapter.  If it is internal and for the jr, it should be pretty easy to tell from the card edge connector.  If you have a picture available, you can send it my way and I'll see what ya got.  As always...If Im talking off the deep end, anyone is welcome to correct me ;)

        Brian

        Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
        Jim (and PC Jr folks)I have an IBM Token Ring card that's not for
        an IBM PC/XT, but I don't know if it's for microchannel either.
        How would I know whether this was for the PC JR? Did the Token Ring
        adapter hook on like a side car or was it installed internally?
        Is there a part number? The box is pink, I did not think to write
        down the exact part number but I can check it when I get home. I
        *think* it says something like "PC IIa" but I am not sure.
        Bill D

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Do you Yahoo!?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2006
          Bill,

          I do not believe that anyone - even IBM - made a tokenring adapter for the
          jr. IBM was determined that the jr remain in the home and school so they did
          everything they could to make it unsuitable for the office.

          All PCjr adapters are side cars (except, as Brian noted, internal modems). If
          your NIC has a card-edge connector, it is not for the jr.

          I just found a picture (www.micro-zone.com/ASTnetiijr.htm) of the board in
          the AST PCnet IIjr side card. It has a telephone-style modular jack on one
          end. The PCjr Cluster side car has a coax connector so it's easy to tell the
          difference.

          Jim

          --- Brian Heise <nampcjr@...> wrote:

          > Bill
          >
          > I have an IBM Cluster adapter card at home and will take a look at it.
          > From your description though, it appears to be (If for a PCjr) a PC NET
          > IIjr. The Net IIjr was a sidecar produced by AST. It is very likely
          > however, that there would have been an internal card made for the PCjr as
          > well. PCE made an internal 2400baud Hayes compat. modem, for instance;
          > though I do not think they made an internal token ring adapter. If it is
          > internal and for the jr, it should be pretty easy to tell from the card
          > edge connector. If you have a picture available, you can send it my way
          > and I'll see what ya got. As always...If Im talking off the deep end,
          > anyone is welcome to correct me ;)
          >
          > Brian
          >
          > Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
          > Jim (and PC Jr folks)I have an IBM Token Ring card that's not for
          > an IBM PC/XT, but I don't know if it's for microchannel either.
          > How would I know whether this was for the PC JR? Did the Token Ring
          > adapter hook on like a side car or was it installed internally?
          > Is there a part number? The box is pink, I did not think to write
          > down the exact part number but I can check it when I get home. I
          > *think* it says something like "PC IIa" but I am not sure.
          > Bill D

          > With a free 1 GB, there's more in store with Yahoo! Mail.
        • Brian Heise
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2006
            Along the lines of internal cards....there are some odd ball ones out there for the jr!  I have a RIM SCSI card, and controller board...the RIM SCSI card plugs into the modem slot on the inside of the jr and when used with a booting cartridge, gives the user yet another option for bootable HD.  I had another card that was very very similar to the RIM SCSI; modem slot sized, about the same make-up and ICs, etc...but it was not a RIM SCSI card...Ill have to pull that one out sometime.... If I remember correctly, there were also other floppy drive add-on options that would plug in at the modem slot as well...

            Brian

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 26, 2006
              Ok..I thought it was a long shot.
              BD