RE: [midatlanticretro] Maker Faire NYC 2011

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2011
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      From: evan@...
      Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 04:39:26 +0000
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Maker Faire NYC 2011

      We don't have to decide * what * we're all bringing right now -- event is 2.5 months away -- just looking to see who'd participate, in order to decide whether to have our own booth or be inside InfoAge's.

         *** So we would be outside ? Last year we were inside. Would we have power outside ?
         *** Jeff Brace

    • Systems Glitch
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
        I should be there this year -- missed last year because of transportation complications / being unemployed. Shouldn't be a problem this year!

        Thanks,
        Jonathan

        On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 14:28:55 -0400
        Jim Scheef <scheefj@...> wrote:

        > Evan,
        >
        > InfoAge was outdoors last year. Given the need for power and the
        > unwelcomeness of rain on working vintage gear, and indoor booth would
        > seem like a good idea to me.
        >
        > Jim
        >
        > On 6/30/2011 12:30 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > > Time to start the Maker Faire thread.
        > >
        > > We had a great time at this event last year. Me, Dan, Chris, Jeff B.,
        > > and .... sorry guys, I'm getting old and I forget who else was there.
        > > Jon Chapman? And we met up with .... I forget his name, the cctalk guy
        > > who was stationed at the south pole. Also ran into many friends-of-MARCH
        > > and * zounds * of awesome new people. I would go just to attend even if
        > > we weren't exhibiting.
        > >
        > > There's an event planning meeting in Brooklyn next week. I will go, as
        > > are some InfoAge people.
        > >
        > > InfoAge requested a 20x20-ft. booth to be shared by its member groups.
        > > It's probably a good idea if MARCH goes in that booth. The downside is
        > > we'll have a lot less space. I don't know exactly how much. Maybe a
        > > couple of tables. The upside is we'll be part of something bigger and
        > > better. We don't have to decide yet, but we have to decide soon. A quick
        > > show of hands please: how many people would travel for one or both days
        > > (Sept. 17-18)?
        > >
        > > It's at the same place as last year -- NY Hall of Science, which is in
        > > Queens. Easy unloading / loading / parking there, unlike in Manhattan.
        > > (You unload at the venue, then go park at Citi Field, and take a shuttle
        > > bus back to the venue.)
        > >
        > > Funny memory of last year's event: seeing Dan cower like a schoolgirl
        > > while riding in my car during a high-speed slalom around crater-sized
        > > Brooklyn potholes.
        > >
        > > Miserable memory of last year's event: Dan got his revenge as I tried to
        > > sleep while across the room he snored louder than the elevated train.
        > >
        > > (Actually, just finding the hotel was quite an adventure. The hotel
        > > moved to a different location and nobody told the world's GPS engineers
        > > or Google Maps or even the hotel operator! We kept circling the
        > > block(s), in hellish traffic, trying to find a hotel that wasn't there.)

      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011

          the InfoAge booth sounds big - just like last year, but I remember from then it was quite full. I suppose you had first dibs on what tables to use.

          I remember that many of the outdoor tents had power, as there were bunches of demos and displays running, whirring, and blinking among the various Maker booths - including InfoAge. And you didn't hear the roar of generators in the background, typical at other festivals :)  I would think you have to request this in advance too - don't expect to run a minicomputer on their power allotment ;)

          As for the weather, I believe the tents all have sides that roll down in the event it does rain. So that your stuff doesn't get wet. But you should still bring some plastic drop clothes to cover your stuff just to keep the ricocheting water drops from falling your stuff while it pours.

          I was hoping to setup a little workbench and make some little transistor logic gadgets that you can sell there. But I'm just running out of time and money - I'll have to save this idea for next year when I can better prepare during the off season. I'll most likely hitch a ride there so I wont have room to bring anything.

          But I can still help out on Sat or Sun or both - I'll be there all wknd.

          =Dan

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
            >>> So we would be outside ? Last year we were inside. Would we have power outside?

            Location of InfoAge's booth is unknown (to me) right now. I think outside is likely but not a definite thing yet. Either way there will be power.

            Dan: I don't know if we are allowed to sell stuff. I'll find out, hopefully at next week's meeting.