Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: The future back in 1982

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 29, 2011

      On Jun 29, 2011 5:01 PM, "madodel" <madodel@...> wrote:

      > Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > >

      > >> True (unfortunately), but look what this electronic revolution has
      > >> done for/to political systems/regimes around the world.

      Actually its more of a next.gen electronic revolution, albeit worldwide. I remember reading about how protesters in France used the MiniTel system(our VideoTex) to do the same thing in the 80s.

    • Jeff Jonas
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
        > Here is an article from 1982..
        > http://www.nytimes.com/1982/06/14/us/study-says-technology-could-transform-society.html
        > It was a study from called 'Teletext and Videotex in the United States"
        > It's a great read from a historical perspective.

        Indeed, as one who saw several false starts and technological dead-ends, it's interesting to see the impact & ramifications of technology. The books "The Victorian Internet" and "Wired Love" show how long distance instant communications had similar implications over 100 years ago!
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
          >>> The books "The Victorian Internet" and "Wired Love" show how long
          distance instant communications had similar implications over 100 years ago!

          Never heard of "Wired Love" (sounds kinky!) but "The Victorian Internet"
          by Tom Standage is one of my favorite books. I highly recommend it to
          anyone who appreciates tech history.
        • Jeff Jonas
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 6, 2011
            >> The books "The Victorian Internet" and "Wired Love"
            >> show how long distance instant communications
            >> had similar implications over 100 years ago!

            > Never heard of "Wired Love" (sounds kinky!)

            Perhaps it was 130 yrs ago when morse code telegraphers
            were inventing tweeting and Twitter :-)

            Wired Love: A Romance Of Dots And Dashes (1880)
            by Ella Cheever Thayer

            One review mentioned getting a free e-copy
            since it's public domain.
            I heard a little of it read on NPR.

            It's a free Google e-book but I'm unsure how to list the URL without my personal ID showing. The ID field is required for it to work. Unless it's the book ID and not my ID, unsure :"/
          • darren_outatime
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 9, 2011
              I started reading "Wired Love" today and I have to admit it's pretty good so far. It has also sparked my interest in the history of telegraph messaging.

              A downloadable copy can be found on the Project Gutenberg website: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24353

              Also, I was able to download an ebook copy of the book to read on my Apple Newton (other electronic formats are available as well, such as Kindle, Sony, Adobe PDF, RTF, etc): http://www.manybooks.net/titles/thayere2435324353.html

              Take care,
              Darren (outatime)