Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: The future back in 1982

  • madodel
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 29, 2011
      Evan Koblentz wrote:

      >> True (unfortunately), but look what this electronic revolution has
      >> done for/to political systems/regimes around the world.
      >
      > We're getting a tad off-off-topic, but .... funny story, just yesterday
      > one of the radio club gray-hairs said that Facebook is not a "grown-up
      > way" of doing business. But as you noted, social media was grown-up
      > enough to get Obama elected and overthrow evil, ignorant, war-torn
      > dictatorships.
      >
      > It would be against the MARCH rules for me to specify that Bush Jr.'s
      > regime was among them. ;)

      You know you will regret opening this can of really, stinky worms!

      Mark
    • Timothy Fagan
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 29, 2011
        True (unfortunately), but look what this electronic revolution has done for/to political systems/regimes around the world.

        On Jun 29, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:

        On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Timothy J Fagan <timstergm@...> wrote:

        Wow. That's actually pretty eery. Pretty damn good prediction!

        although the one prediction in there about  the 'end of a two party political system' as a result of this didn't seem to work.

        =Dan

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 29, 2011

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 29, 2011

            Here is an article from 1982..

            http://www.nytimes.com/1982/06/14/us/study-says-technology-could-transform-society.html

            It was a study from called 'Teletext and Videotex in the United States"

            It's a great read from a historical perspective.

            Speaking of historical perspectives, here's a paper our hometown hero Claude Kagan co-wrote in 1973 about the "home reckoner": http://snarc.net/home_reckoner.pdf.
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 29, 2011

              On Jun 29, 2011 5:01 PM, "madodel" <madodel@...> wrote:

              > Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > >

              > >> True (unfortunately), but look what this electronic revolution has
              > >> done for/to political systems/regimes around the world.

              Actually its more of a next.gen electronic revolution, albeit worldwide. I remember reading about how protesters in France used the MiniTel system(our VideoTex) to do the same thing in the 80s.

            • Jeff Jonas
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
                > Here is an article from 1982..
                > http://www.nytimes.com/1982/06/14/us/study-says-technology-could-transform-society.html
                > It was a study from called 'Teletext and Videotex in the United States"
                > It's a great read from a historical perspective.

                Indeed, as one who saw several false starts and technological dead-ends, it's interesting to see the impact & ramifications of technology. The books "The Victorian Internet" and "Wired Love" show how long distance instant communications had similar implications over 100 years ago!
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
                  >>> The books "The Victorian Internet" and "Wired Love" show how long
                  distance instant communications had similar implications over 100 years ago!

                  Never heard of "Wired Love" (sounds kinky!) but "The Victorian Internet"
                  by Tom Standage is one of my favorite books. I highly recommend it to
                  anyone who appreciates tech history.
                • Jeff Jonas
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 6, 2011
                    >> The books "The Victorian Internet" and "Wired Love"
                    >> show how long distance instant communications
                    >> had similar implications over 100 years ago!

                    > Never heard of "Wired Love" (sounds kinky!)

                    Perhaps it was 130 yrs ago when morse code telegraphers
                    were inventing tweeting and Twitter :-)

                    Wired Love: A Romance Of Dots And Dashes (1880)
                    by Ella Cheever Thayer

                    One review mentioned getting a free e-copy
                    since it's public domain.
                    I heard a little of it read on NPR.

                    It's a free Google e-book but I'm unsure how to list the URL without my personal ID showing. The ID field is required for it to work. Unless it's the book ID and not my ID, unsure :"/
                  • darren_outatime
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 9, 2011
                      I started reading "Wired Love" today and I have to admit it's pretty good so far. It has also sparked my interest in the history of telegraph messaging.

                      A downloadable copy can be found on the Project Gutenberg website: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24353

                      Also, I was able to download an ebook copy of the book to read on my Apple Newton (other electronic formats are available as well, such as Kindle, Sony, Adobe PDF, RTF, etc): http://www.manybooks.net/titles/thayere2435324353.html

                      Take care,
                      Darren (outatime)