Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: The future back in 1982

  • madodel
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 29, 2011
      Evan Koblentz wrote:

      >> True (unfortunately), but look what this electronic revolution has
      >> done for/to political systems/regimes around the world.
      >
      > We're getting a tad off-off-topic, but .... funny story, just yesterday
      > one of the radio club gray-hairs said that Facebook is not a "grown-up
      > way" of doing business. But as you noted, social media was grown-up
      > enough to get Obama elected and overthrow evil, ignorant, war-torn
      > dictatorships.
      >
      > It would be against the MARCH rules for me to specify that Bush Jr.'s
      > regime was among them. ;)

      You know you will regret opening this can of really, stinky worms!

      Mark
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 29, 2011
        On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Timothy J Fagan <timstergm@...> wrote:

        Wow. That's actually pretty eery. Pretty damn good prediction!

        although the one prediction in there about  the 'end of a two party political system' as a result of this didn't seem to work.

        =Dan

      • Timothy Fagan

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 29, 2011

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 29, 2011

              Here is an article from 1982..

              http://www.nytimes.com/1982/06/14/us/study-says-technology-could-transform-society.html

              It was a study from called 'Teletext and Videotex in the United States"

              It's a great read from a historical perspective.

              Speaking of historical perspectives, here's a paper our hometown hero Claude Kagan co-wrote in 1973 about the "home reckoner": http://snarc.net/home_reckoner.pdf.
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 29, 2011

                On Jun 29, 2011 5:01 PM, "madodel" <madodel@...> wrote:

                > Evan Koblentz wrote:
                > >

                > >> True (unfortunately), but look what this electronic revolution has
                > >> done for/to political systems/regimes around the world.

                Actually its more of a next.gen electronic revolution, albeit worldwide. I remember reading about how protesters in France used the MiniTel system(our VideoTex) to do the same thing in the 80s.

              • Jeff Jonas
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4 8:18 PM
                  > Here is an article from 1982..
                  > http://www.nytimes.com/1982/06/14/us/study-says-technology-could-transform-society.html
                  > It was a study from called 'Teletext and Videotex in the United States"
                  > It's a great read from a historical perspective.

                  Indeed, as one who saw several false starts and technological dead-ends, it's interesting to see the impact & ramifications of technology. The books "The Victorian Internet" and "Wired Love" show how long distance instant communications had similar implications over 100 years ago!
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4 8:26 PM
                    >>> The books "The Victorian Internet" and "Wired Love" show how long
                    distance instant communications had similar implications over 100 years ago!

                    Never heard of "Wired Love" (sounds kinky!) but "The Victorian Internet"
                    by Tom Standage is one of my favorite books. I highly recommend it to
                    anyone who appreciates tech history.
                  • Jeff Jonas
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 6 1:47 PM
                      >> The books "The Victorian Internet" and "Wired Love"
                      >> show how long distance instant communications
                      >> had similar implications over 100 years ago!

                      > Never heard of "Wired Love" (sounds kinky!)

                      Perhaps it was 130 yrs ago when morse code telegraphers
                      were inventing tweeting and Twitter :-)

                      Wired Love: A Romance Of Dots And Dashes (1880)
                      by Ella Cheever Thayer

                      One review mentioned getting a free e-copy
                      since it's public domain.
                      I heard a little of it read on NPR.

                      It's a free Google e-book but I'm unsure how to list the URL without my personal ID showing. The ID field is required for it to work. Unless it's the book ID and not my ID, unsure :"/
                    • darren_outatime
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 9 7:05 PM
                        I started reading "Wired Love" today and I have to admit it's pretty good so far. It has also sparked my interest in the history of telegraph messaging.

                        A downloadable copy can be found on the Project Gutenberg website: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24353

                        Also, I was able to download an ebook copy of the book to read on my Apple Newton (other electronic formats are available as well, such as Kindle, Sony, Adobe PDF, RTF, etc): http://www.manybooks.net/titles/thayere2435324353.html

                        Take care,
                        Darren (outatime)