Fun idea for the museum

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2011
      Hello MARCHins,

      Jeff B. pointed out to me that lately we've been doing lots of "moving
      stuff around" rather than taking it easy post-VCF and having fun with
      vintage computers. He's correct. In my defense, all of the moving around
      is for good reason(s), but I digress: presented below is a plan for
      getting back to tinkering.

      Room 6, the "consumer microcomputer" room, contains six full systems on
      desks, a few more computers on a shelving unit, and full runs from V.1,
      #1 to Dec. 1979 of several magazines. Here's an idea: let's remove one
      of the full systems in there -- I suggest the TI-99/4A -- and then
      probably put that computer (just the machine itself) onto the secondary
      systems shelving unit, replacing something boring such as the Tandy CoCo
      2. Then we put the Commodore 64 where the TI-99/4A was. Why, you ask????
      Because that will give us a decent-sized empty exhibit spot. That spot
      can become our version 1.0 of our "Member's Exhibit" which we have been
      promising for a long time but never delivered.

      In the member's exhibit YOU can exhibit anything you want, within
      reason. :) It could be something from your personal collection, or
      something of MARCH's that you have always wanted to explore. The exhibit
      can rotate every month or two, and could be combined with an "artifact
      of the month" if nobody has something to display one month. But I
      predict a waiting list!

      Jeff B. gets the first cycle because his private gripe inspired this
      idea tonight. :) He can also take a raincheck if so desired, and open
      the first slot to everyone else.

      Jeff: pick anything you want. It would be nice if it's not a Commodore,
      because we already have the PET 2001 and C-64 and VIC-20 in that room,
      but it's your call.

      Everyone else: start making suggestions. All I ask is that when people
      make suggestions, they deliver -- please don't make this into something
      where YOU guys suggest that * I * do more work. ;)
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 19, 2011

        Jeff: pick anything you want. It would be nice if it's not a Commodore,
        because we already have the PET 2001 and C-64 and VIC-20 in that room,
        but it's your call.
            ** I would have to think about this a bit, but something other than Commodore that I have is a LISP processor board. I believe it was put into an Apple II.  I would have to to research about it. I think I have one or two web pages about it. Not much out there for this.
            ** It is unique and doesn’t fit anywhere else. I think this would be a suitable spot. It was donated to me by someone from whom I bought some vintage stuff.
            ** Any ideas how I can exhibit it ?
            ** My second idea would be a Vectrex machine, but we don’t currently have a working one.
            ** Jeff B
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 2011
          On 6/20/11 2:28 AM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
          > ** I would have to think about this a bit, but something other than
          > Commodore that I have is a LISP processor board. I believe it was put
          > into an Apple II. I would have to to research about it. I think I have
          > one or two web pages about it. Not much out there for this.
          > ** It is unique and doesn’t fit anywhere else. I think this would be a
          > suitable spot. It was donated to me by someone from whom I bought some
          > vintage stuff.
          > ** Any ideas how I can exhibit it ?

          Are you sure it's for an Apple ][, or could it be for a Mac II? If
          the latter, it's likely a Symbolics MacIvory or a TI Explorer. Software
          for the former is available (it runs Genera, which is glorious) but the
          TI Explorer would be tougher to bring up.

          Dave McGuire
          Port Charlotte, FL
        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2011

            Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 10:53 AM
            Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Fun idea for the museum

            Are you sure it's for an Apple ][, or could it be for a Mac II? If
            the latter, it's likely a Symbolics MacIvory or a TI Explorer. Software
            for the former is available (it runs Genera, which is glorious) but the
            TI Explorer would be tougher to bring up.

            -Dave

                ** Dave,

                ** My question is how I would display such an item.

                ** Jeff3B

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 20, 2011
              On 6/21/11 1:40 AM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
              > > Are you sure it's for an Apple ][, or could it be for a Mac II? If
              >> the latter, it's likely a Symbolics MacIvory or a TI Explorer. Software
              >> for the former is available (it runs Genera, which is glorious) but the
              >> TI Explorer would be tougher to bring up.
              >
              > ** You are right. It is the Mac II. I was remembering this all wrong.
              > And it is the TI MicroExplorer. I had first discussed this here:
              >
              > ** My question is how I would display such an item.

              Ideally, I'd say get a functional Mac II, find the software for it
              (that may not be that tough; I will ask around a bit), put a Plexiglas
              cover on the machine so people can see the card, and run it. Put a card
              up next to it describing what it does and why it's cool.

              That's just what I'd try to do..

              Dave McGuire
              Port Charlotte, FL
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 21, 2011
                > In the member's exhibit YOU can exhibit anything you want, within reason. :)

                Elaborating on this because I had another idea tonight. "Within reason"
                in the above quoted sentence means the artifact pretty much has to be
                something desktop-size or smaller. There isn't enough space for any big
                iron in the consumer microcomputer room. Even if there was, having
                bigger stuff in there would confuse our visitors.

                I'm also considering the possibility that we could make a second "member
                exhibit" space in the homebrew-era room. We already have a decent amount
                of unused space in there.