Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: fun electronics+vintage success

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
      On 6/8/11 1:32 AM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
      >> So, I rewrote the assembler assists for MVS,
      >> wrote the small pile of JCL required to compile it all,
      >> and got it working today.
      >> I'm now happily running SPICE simulations under MVS 3.8J
      >> on an emulated (via Hercules) IBM 370.
      >
      > Wow, congratulations!

      Thanks!

      > That's more patience than I have for the stuff.

      Well, I learned a lot, nearly all of which applies to modern
      mainframes, of which there are a great many in the area I'm moving into.
      But much of the patience comes from the "labor of love" aspect of
      things. I'm a programmer and hardware designer, and I have a fetish for
      marrying old technology with new. I use modern SPICE all the time,
      running it like this is lots of fun. :)

      > But for me, the experience is not complete without
      > the sights& sounds of the card reader& line printer :-(
      > When MARCH gets a card reader running,
      > we ought to USB interface it to a PC running the emulator!

      That would be really, really cool!

      Dave McGuire
      Port Charlotte, FL