Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Anyone in Philly / Delaware / NJ with Amiga 3000 battery-removal experience?

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
      On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:13 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      >And don't laugh at this but if the board I'm working on is particularly
      >gross and gunky, I'll wash it in the dishwasher with a bit of detergent
      >in "air dry" mode.    Same with the cable harnesses.
      >
      >Once the wash cycle is done I'll pull the board out, rinse it with
      >distilled water and then air dry.   Things look beautiful and factory
      >fresh when you're done.
      >
      >If you do use the dishwasher check to ensure that there aren't stickers
      >that you'd like to preserve.

      I agree, boards can survive a little soap and water.  That's actually
      preferred to any chemicals if you're dealing with dirt

      yes, I agree too.
      I do this all the time - with all sorts of vintage circuit boards -- computer, arcade, pinball, etc..
      A few steps I would include >before< washing is this,
       - Remove the corrosion from the pcb traces and tin the copper traces again.
       ---- use either a hobby xacto knife to clean the individual traces(#10 blade works great)
       ---- or a dremel for the severe corrosion on ground planes and such.

       - Repair any copper traces as needed - you should check continuity on every trace thats been affected.
       ---- some traces can suffer a break from the corrosion
       ---- usually a drop of solder can fix this or add a piece of stripped bellcore wire.

       - Repair any corroded Vias
       ---- these can fail to make connection between the top and bottom of the pcb.
       ---- you might have to clean out the Via hole first since it might be clogged with corrosion too.

       - Brush on the vinegar and rinse off with [at least 91%] isopropyl alcohol, then wash.
       ---- I just use a clean toothbrush for this to get in small areas - and a stiff paint brush for tight areas.
       ---- I use either a heat lamp or just sit it out in the sun to quickly evaporate any water drops
       ---- sometimes I use an air compressor to speed up the process.

      =Dan