Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Anyone in Philly / Delaware / NJ with Amiga 3000 battery-removal experience?

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
      On 6/7/11 10:47 AM, Jeremy wrote:
      > b. The second amiga 1200, I just took a look and took out what was in
      > its trapdoor. I don't think this is an accelerator.. maybe it is.. I
      > really cannot remember that we added these to these A1200s.. The
      > chip says MC68881, which I thought was a co-processor, and not an
      > accelerator. Any thoughts?

      The 68881 is a floating-point coprocessor.

      Incidentally, if you're doing FP-intensive tasks, you can plug a
      68882 in its place for about a 15% speedup. It's pin- and
      instruction-compatible, just faster. I did this on a lot of 68020 Suns
      that I was using for number crunching twenty years ago.

      Dave McGuire
      Port Charlotte, FL
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
        I am busy so I will need some lead time to set up, but I do have 5 Amigas
        on the table to be worked upon, by coincidence. I have a handful of
        batteries to install. I had been meaning to do this for a few years now,
        never go to it until now. Your timing is excellent. If you want to come
        to me in Landenberg, PA contact me directly. Rather than a sandwitch, I
        could use some overall Video Toaster set up help.

        Bill Degnan

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
          > Incidentally, if you're doing FP-intensive tasks, you can plug a
          > 68882 in its place for about a 15% speedup. It's pin- and
          > instruction-compatible, just faster. I did this on a lot of 68020 Suns
          > that I was using for number crunching twenty years ago.

          ----------------

          Funny you should mention that, as I did that exact mod to my Sun 3/160 about a million years ago (when I was still running it). I wasn't doing any number crunching, but I just love to tinker with my toys.

          I really want to power that old Sun back up, I'm just afraid I'll blow every circuit in my house doing it. I'll wait for next winter and get the free heating of the house every time I login.

          BTW: I'm looking for a Sun 3/80 (pizza box), so I can run all my Sun3 software without making my PSE&G meter spin like a wheel of fortune.
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
            On 6/7/11 2:24 PM, brian_cirulnick wrote:
            >> Incidentally, if you're doing FP-intensive tasks, you can plug a
            >> 68882 in its place for about a 15% speedup. It's pin- and
            >> instruction-compatible, just faster. I did this on a lot of 68020
            >> Suns that I was using for number crunching twenty years ago.
            >
            > Funny you should mention that, as I did that exact mod to my Sun
            > 3/160 about a million years ago (when I was still running it). I
            > wasn't doing any number crunching, but I just love to tinker with my
            > toys.

            Neat! It makes a very noticeable different for floating-point stuff.

            > I really want to power that old Sun back up, I'm just afraid I'll
            > blow every circuit in my house doing it. I'll wait for next winter
            > and get the free heating of the house every time I login.

            Wow, you and I have very different ideas of "big, circuit-blowing
            machine". ;)

            http://www.neurotica.com/albums/pdp1170/tn/DSCN1171.JPG.html
            http://www.neurotica.com/albums/cray/tn/j90.jpg.html

            > BTW: I'm looking for a Sun 3/80 (pizza box), so I can run all my Sun3
            > software without making my PSE&G meter spin like a wheel of fortune.

            I believe I have at least a couple 3/80s in storage. I am preparing
            to move (just closed on the new building on Friday!), contact me after
            I'm settled and I'll see if I can find a functional one. I'll keep the
            list posted as to my progress.

            Ahh, PSE&G...memories! I grew up in NJ.

            Dave McGuire
            Port Charlotte, FL
          • telmnstr@757.org
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
              > I am busy so I will need some lead time to set up, but I do have 5 Amigas
              > on the table to be worked upon, by coincidence. I have a handful of
              > batteries to install. I had been meaning to do this for a few years now,
              > never go to it until now. Your timing is excellent. If you want to come
              > to me in Landenberg, PA contact me directly. Rather than a sandwitch, I
              > could use some overall Video Toaster set up help.

              Have you been able to fix A3000s with the battery juice all wicked into
              the PCBs?

              Got a friends to fix and I was thinking some sort of guide to where all of
              the parts should be connected to would be useful.
            • murph
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
                On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM, brian_cirulnick <techrat@...> wrote:

                I really want to power that old Sun back up, I'm just afraid I'll blow every circuit in my house doing it. I'll wait for next winter and get the free heating of the house every time I login.

                I'll bet the dollar value on "free" is higher than you might be letting on. :)

                --
                Team Amiga  New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
                  On 6/7/11 3:20 PM, murph wrote:
                  > I really want to power that old Sun back up, I'm just afraid I'll
                  > blow every circuit in my house doing it. I'll wait for next winter
                  > and get the free heating of the house every time I login.
                  >
                  > I'll bet the dollar value on "free" is higher than you might be letting
                  > on. :)

                  Computers convert electricity into heat with 100% efficiency. Unless
                  one has a different form of heat (gas, oil, etc) and knows it to be more
                  cost-effective (dollar -> BTU) it's a viable option. Which is more
                  interesting to sit in front of while it's running, a furnace or a
                  vintage computer? ;)

                  Dave McGuire
                  Port Charlotte, FL
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
                    At 02:59 PM 6/7/2011, you wrote:
                    > > I am busy so I will need some lead time to set up, but I do have 5 Amigas
                    > > on the table to be worked upon, by coincidence. I have a handful of
                    > > batteries to install. I had been meaning to do this for a few years now,
                    > > never go to it until now. Your timing is excellent. If you want to come
                    > > to me in Landenberg, PA contact me directly. Rather than a sandwitch, I
                    > > could use some overall Video Toaster set up help.
                    >
                    >Have you been able to fix A3000s with the battery juice all wicked into
                    >the PCBs?
                    >
                    >Got a friends to fix and I was thinking some sort of guide to where all of
                    >the parts should be connected to would be useful.

                    A while back I did some research and found that although the battery
                    acid is bad, but can be cleaned out. From a support standpoint I'd
                    rather have a little battery acid to clean than rodent urine any day.

                    Use baking soda and water, it's ok to get the board wet but you want
                    to clear everything out. Dry and test. It's reasonable to expect
                    success especially for the not-so-bad boards. Most of my experience
                    with battery acid-laden stuff is old hand-held video games and watches.

                    All Apple GS's should have their batteries replaced too. I have been
                    meaning to and now I am going to actually seek out and replace these
                    old batteries in the various systems I have that need them.
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
                      On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:13 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                      >And don't laugh at this but if the board I'm working on is particularly
                      >gross and gunky, I'll wash it in the dishwasher with a bit of detergent
                      >in "air dry" mode.    Same with the cable harnesses.
                      >
                      >Once the wash cycle is done I'll pull the board out, rinse it with
                      >distilled water and then air dry.   Things look beautiful and factory
                      >fresh when you're done.
                      >
                      >If you do use the dishwasher check to ensure that there aren't stickers
                      >that you'd like to preserve.

                      I agree, boards can survive a little soap and water.  That's actually
                      preferred to any chemicals if you're dealing with dirt

                      yes, I agree too.
                      I do this all the time - with all sorts of vintage circuit boards -- computer, arcade, pinball, etc..
                      A few steps I would include >before< washing is this,
                       - Remove the corrosion from the pcb traces and tin the copper traces again.
                       ---- use either a hobby xacto knife to clean the individual traces(#10 blade works great)
                       ---- or a dremel for the severe corrosion on ground planes and such.

                       - Repair any copper traces as needed - you should check continuity on every trace thats been affected.
                       ---- some traces can suffer a break from the corrosion
                       ---- usually a drop of solder can fix this or add a piece of stripped bellcore wire.

                       - Repair any corroded Vias
                       ---- these can fail to make connection between the top and bottom of the pcb.
                       ---- you might have to clean out the Via hole first since it might be clogged with corrosion too.

                       - Brush on the vinegar and rinse off with [at least 91%] isopropyl alcohol, then wash.
                       ---- I just use a clean toothbrush for this to get in small areas - and a stiff paint brush for tight areas.
                       ---- I use either a heat lamp or just sit it out in the sun to quickly evaporate any water drops
                       ---- sometimes I use an air compressor to speed up the process.

                      =Dan