Re: Found some Core Memory

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2011
      > I would expect anything from IBM to say I B M on it somewhere.

      The core I salvaged from the IBM 1620 and IBM 1130
      were merely green frames that stacked together.
      No "IBM" anywhere.

      Even back then, IBM outsourced SOME things.
      The IBM system 1130's plotter is from Calcomp
      and the paper tape reader from Tally.
      The semiconductor RAM on the IBM system 38 is from EMM.

      > In those days, IBM made everything themselves,

      I wish I could find photos from the IBM Kingston facility's
      Historical Society. It showed a HUGE foot-locker sized
      core memory module for the IBM 360,
      with photos of all the steps of manufacturing, weaving
      and even re-weaving to replace a failed core!

      -- jeffj
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2011
        On 6/5/11 6:46 AM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
        >>> I don't advise trying to build
        >>> analog core memory read/write electronics ...
        >
        >> Hey, it's finicky and fiddly, but it can be done (and has been),
        >> and there are many design examples out there.
        >
        > But can they handle the temperate range as things heat up,
        > and the density of the one being considered?

        Core runs hot, sure, but this is well understood and easily handled.
        If Dan has trouble getting that core plane running, it won't be
        because it runs too hot.

        > The Arduino core project I saw recently
        > is only 8 x 8 and very sparsely populated.

        The sparseness of that design surely had little to do with heat.

        > Yes, today's DSPs can do things
        > that required dedicated hardware not long ago,
        > but the algorithms and reliability looks tricky.
        > If that's handled properly, I'd love to see the new ways!

        Nah. Core is pretty reliable when you get a design running. Getting
        it to that point takes work, though. Most, if not all core systems have
        a thermistor near a core plane to adjust X/Y drive currents...I suppose
        one *could* do that with a DSP, but you'd be replacing a simple,
        easily-modeled circuit with maybe half a dozen transistors and a handful
        of resistors with a very complex chip and hundreds, if not thousands of
        lines of code.

        Dave McGuire
        Port Charlotte, FL