Re: [midatlanticretro] static ip

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2006
      Hi Guys,

      I started/ran/managed an ISP from 1994 until we sold the
      company in 2000, and have done a fair amount of IP stack
      development (protocol stack work, not just applications).

      Generally speaking, your Terms Of Service with your provider
      usually prohibit you from running any kind of server, especially
      if it's not a "business account." For a non-business account
      where you keep the connection (ie, cable, DSL, etc), then your
      "dynamic" address is usually pretty stable, but might change from
      time to time. I've noticed my Comcast address changes every 6-8
      months.

      I have some dyndns.org addresses. They have a timeout of 60
      seconds. So, every 60 seconds, any of those addresses expire from
      the cache of the name server you are using, and must be refreshed.
      Ie, if you address changes, dyndns gets updated pretty quickly,
      **IF** you are running software on your computer to detect the change
      and update the dyndns database in a short amount of time. The
      refresh programs typically refresh every 10 minutes by default, but
      that can be changed.

      I don't know if DECnet is carried on TCP, UDP, or some other protocol,
      but if it uses TCP, then the connect will back-off when it doesn't
      get a reply. Ie, your chances of being deteced as a DOS attack are
      slim. TCP is designed so that user applications don't flood the network
      if the remote end is unavailable. For UDP based applications, this is
      purely up to the application developer, since UDP does not guarantee
      delivery at all, and this must be done in the application.

      If DECnet requires every machine on the network to be visible to the
      outside world via IP, then NAT won't work. However, if a gateway can
      work, then use non-routable addresses inside your network (ie, 192.168.x.x)
      and then have one machine with a NAT address acting as a gateway on the
      dynamic address. Find some app (probably on a PC running windoze) that
      will periodically check the router's IP and update dyndns as needed. Works
      fine for my "dynamic" network (I also have a group of static IPs from
      another provider as a business account).

      BTW, how much effort is this worth? The internet doesn't seem very
      retro to me.

      Bob

      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net