Re: VCF exhibits / vendors

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 47 , Jun 2, 2011
      Michael Lee <mikelee@...> wrote:

      > I'm sure you'd be excited to see a Packard Bell Legend "Multimedia"
      > 486SX25 running windows 3.1 at a VCF :) It's at least 15 years vintage
      > now. We'll even get some Grollier's Encyclopedia 2x CD-ROM action
      > going. Get us some Prodigy dial up over quality built in 2400 baud
      > soft-modem-ish-thing.

      Um, I'm embarrassed to not know every exhibit at VCF-E, but wasn't the Commodore 64 C-Net exhibit about BBS-ing? Wasn't the Corvus and 3B2 about Unix and Alto's (in emulation)? There was a microVAX running VMS! Now, I didn't run my AT&T 386 (more systems than space) but if I had, *that* was running Windows 3.1....

      I am absolutely NO fan of Microsoft. But even I think it would be fun to see Windows 3.1 in operation. It could be compared to an early Mac like a Plus or SE/30; also to some of the Digital Research GUI's like GEM (which made its way to Atari..). And that Xerox Altos emulation could be run also. This exhibit almost creates itself!

      To someone under 30, they've never seen a simple GUI environment that responded IMMEDIATELY, except maybe on a cellphone. They probably think Apple or Microsoft invented this stuff. Seeing these do their thing on desktops, with less CPU power than their toothbrush, less storage than an earring flash drive - and NOT from Gates or Jobs! - would be *astonishing*!

      Herb Johnson
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 5, 2011
        No luck, sorry.

        From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
        Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:15:54 -0400
        To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Early Pdp 11 assembly training course?

        Great. Fyi they're practically free on half.com etc

        Yahoo! Groups Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/join (Yahoo! ID required)<*> To change settings via email: midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/