Re: VCF exhibits / vendors

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 47 , Jun 2, 2011
      B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > It is going to happen, vintage computing is going to split some time
      > soon into two generations. The 16/32 bit GUI era stuff will have a
      > separate place, just not sure how it will work.

      It ALREADY has, to the extent that "the hobby" isn't some thing out there; it's a representation of things that people do with old computers. Different people of different ages, different things. Also different venues - the "kids" haven't taken over "our" venues, yet.

      I had someone contact me recently, about building some S-100 stuff for the first time. They bought all kind of, er, stuff, and had plans to make it work. The plan? to run DR-DOS! Because they "grew up" with MS-DOS but found Windows and Microsoft to be just big behemoths compared to the "simple" DR-DOS operating systems. And S-100 was a simpler hardware architecture to learn on than a Windows PC.

      Run CP/M? "that's just something else I'd have to learn".

      So there it is. The next generation. (Well, next relative to me, or Bill.)

      > If we don't allow for some sort of evolution, eventually
      > we'll end up with fewer working systems to exhibit.

      Well, yeaaah.... But my counter-argument is that 1970's computing is becoming (has become) "lost arts" in terms of experience, and "lost systems" in terms of having running hardware around. So there's still good reason to show the old iron at VCF's. There weren't enough S-100 systems at VCF-E this year, in my opinion. I may bring a stack of THEM next year, certainly not the AT&T box or IBM PCs.

      And I'll state, without proof, that much computing stuff built in the 1970's seems to survive better than production stuff built in the 80's and 90's. I'll give an example in a minute.

      > To Mike's comment
      > It's hard to justify (for me) classifying Amigas and Mac II's as OK
      > and not also early Windows (386 at least) boxes, but clearly these
      > are all next gen systems that have not been fully "vintage-ified"
      > yet. It's a conversation we have every so often, and no one person
      > is going to win their argument fully. Me? I welcome the opinions.

      Hey, f'instance. I bought an AT&T 386 system this year. Thought the AT&T crowd would be interested. Well, not so much - it wasn't the old 8088 system, it wasn't the fancier Unix/Xenix system. Kind of in between. A few people noted it.

      But Mac II's - Bill, those Mac systems are DISINTEGRATING! I know this first-hand, the 80's Mac surface-mount stuff has physical problems with solder rot! So I didn't mind seeing a Mac II this year, and an(other) exhibit of 68K Mac tech from the 80's would be kinda neat, I think. (Anyone out there really object to that?)

      > I do not wish to have a *what is vintage* debate, what year,
      > etc. 16/32 bit computing is historic, it's just a question of how
      > does one fit it into our "8-bit centric is the heart of vintage
      > computing" world view. I have a feeling it will be a natural
      > progression, a little grumbling, and then life moves on.
      >
      > Bill

      Right, Bill, I agree. But there's really all kinds of genres now in vintage computing, it's not all 8-bit. Ask David Gesswein - he's *12 bit*! THere's a range of interests by "bits", and all classes of processor have been shown at VCF's.

      HErb
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 5, 2011
        No luck, sorry.

        From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
        Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:15:54 -0400
        To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Early Pdp 11 assembly training course?

        Great. Fyi they're practically free on half.com etc

        Yahoo! Groups Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/join (Yahoo! ID required)<*> To change settings via email: midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/