Re: [midatlanticretro] 1985 - 1995 era computing event - the "post-vintage computer festival 1.0"

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
      On 6/1/11 2:44 PM, system@... wrote:
      >> For nontechnical people who show up out of curiosity, it may give
      >> them the impression that "vintage computing" is all about early Pentiums
      >> and stuff like that. They may not even recognize a PDP-11 as being a
      >> computer at all, and wonder why that weird-looking machine with all the
      >> lights is set up in here next to all the antique computers running
      >> Windows 3.0.
      >
      > It should be limited to machines that run OSs. That would keep all with
      > WEENDOZE cruft out of sight! :)

      Well yes, there is that.

      Dave McGuire
      Port Charlotte, FL
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
        I agree that a separate show would be counter-productive, but we have
        always had exhibits at VCFE from this era which covered many of the
        topics mentioned. Exhibits based on technology from the 90's need to be
        "interesting" - more than a 286 running Win 3.0 in standard mode. (I
        once had Win 3.0 running on an HP 200LX in real mode, which mm.) A study
        of GUIs has been mentioned many times and would include stuff into the
        mid-90's. Certainly there were networks before 1985 but this is when PC
        LANs first became successful, so just about any networking exhibit will
        extend into the 90's.

        A functioning BBS at VCF would be a ton of fun. It would be awesome if
        there were telephone line simulators so people could connect their own
        machines! Again mid-80's to early 90's technology. One modern PC could
        host several BBS's running in VMs and accessed by telnet.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011

          > A functioning BBS at VCF would be a ton of fun. It would be awesome if
          > there were telephone line simulators so people could connect their own
          > machines! Again mid-80's to early 90's technology. One modern PC could
          > host several BBS's running in VMs and accessed by telnet.

          What about Justin's exhibit?
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
            I regret to admit that whenever I spoke with Justin we talked about
            money or the refreshment "stand" and never got around to his exhibit. My
            fault. This leads me to another deficiency: the lack of a network at
            VCF. Even without Internet access, a functioning network could add
            another dimension to some exhibits.

            I also never took time to go over to see the progress in the H-building
            area.

            Jim