Re: [midatlanticretro] 1985 - 1995 era computing event - the "post-vintage computer festival 1.0"

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

      > For nontechnical people who show up out of curiosity, it may give
      >them the impression that "vintage computing" is all about early Pentiums
      >and stuff like that. They may not even recognize a PDP-11 as being a
      >computer at all, and wonder why that weird-looking machine with all the
      >lights is set up in here next to all the antique computers running
      >Windows 3.0.

      It should be limited to machines that run OSs. That would keep all with
      WEENDOZE cruft out of sight! :)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
        On 6/1/11 2:44 PM, system@... wrote:
        >> For nontechnical people who show up out of curiosity, it may give
        >> them the impression that "vintage computing" is all about early Pentiums
        >> and stuff like that. They may not even recognize a PDP-11 as being a
        >> computer at all, and wonder why that weird-looking machine with all the
        >> lights is set up in here next to all the antique computers running
        >> Windows 3.0.
        >
        > It should be limited to machines that run OSs. That would keep all with
        > WEENDOZE cruft out of sight! :)

        Well yes, there is that.

        Dave McGuire
        Port Charlotte, FL
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
          I agree that a separate show would be counter-productive, but we have
          always had exhibits at VCFE from this era which covered many of the
          topics mentioned. Exhibits based on technology from the 90's need to be
          "interesting" - more than a 286 running Win 3.0 in standard mode. (I
          once had Win 3.0 running on an HP 200LX in real mode, which mm.) A study
          of GUIs has been mentioned many times and would include stuff into the
          mid-90's. Certainly there were networks before 1985 but this is when PC
          LANs first became successful, so just about any networking exhibit will
          extend into the 90's.

          A functioning BBS at VCF would be a ton of fun. It would be awesome if
          there were telephone line simulators so people could connect their own
          machines! Again mid-80's to early 90's technology. One modern PC could
          host several BBS's running in VMs and accessed by telnet.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011

            > A functioning BBS at VCF would be a ton of fun. It would be awesome if
            > there were telephone line simulators so people could connect their own
            > machines! Again mid-80's to early 90's technology. One modern PC could
            > host several BBS's running in VMs and accessed by telnet.

            What about Justin's exhibit?
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
              I regret to admit that whenever I spoke with Justin we talked about
              money or the refreshment "stand" and never got around to his exhibit. My
              fault. This leads me to another deficiency: the lack of a network at
              VCF. Even without Internet access, a functioning network could add
              another dimension to some exhibits.

              I also never took time to go over to see the progress in the H-building
              area.

              Jim