Re: [midatlanticretro] 1985 - 1995 era computing event - the "post-vintage computer festival 1.0"

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
      B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

      >Not in the same exhibit space. a separate post 85 to pre-Pentium room,
      >with armed guards at the doors to keep them from intimidating the
      >8-bits.

      Remember, there were 36-bits before your beloved 8-bits.
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

        > For nontechnical people who show up out of curiosity, it may give
        >them the impression that "vintage computing" is all about early Pentiums
        >and stuff like that. They may not even recognize a PDP-11 as being a
        >computer at all, and wonder why that weird-looking machine with all the
        >lights is set up in here next to all the antique computers running
        >Windows 3.0.

        It should be limited to machines that run OSs. That would keep all with
        WEENDOZE cruft out of sight! :)
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
          On 6/1/11 2:44 PM, system@... wrote:
          >> For nontechnical people who show up out of curiosity, it may give
          >> them the impression that "vintage computing" is all about early Pentiums
          >> and stuff like that. They may not even recognize a PDP-11 as being a
          >> computer at all, and wonder why that weird-looking machine with all the
          >> lights is set up in here next to all the antique computers running
          >> Windows 3.0.
          >
          > It should be limited to machines that run OSs. That would keep all with
          > WEENDOZE cruft out of sight! :)

          Well yes, there is that.

          Dave McGuire
          Port Charlotte, FL
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
            I agree that a separate show would be counter-productive, but we have
            always had exhibits at VCFE from this era which covered many of the
            topics mentioned. Exhibits based on technology from the 90's need to be
            "interesting" - more than a 286 running Win 3.0 in standard mode. (I
            once had Win 3.0 running on an HP 200LX in real mode, which mm.) A study
            of GUIs has been mentioned many times and would include stuff into the
            mid-90's. Certainly there were networks before 1985 but this is when PC
            LANs first became successful, so just about any networking exhibit will
            extend into the 90's.

            A functioning BBS at VCF would be a ton of fun. It would be awesome if
            there were telephone line simulators so people could connect their own
            machines! Again mid-80's to early 90's technology. One modern PC could
            host several BBS's running in VMs and accessed by telnet.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011

              > A functioning BBS at VCF would be a ton of fun. It would be awesome if
              > there were telephone line simulators so people could connect their own
              > machines! Again mid-80's to early 90's technology. One modern PC could
              > host several BBS's running in VMs and accessed by telnet.

              What about Justin's exhibit?
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
                I regret to admit that whenever I spoke with Justin we talked about
                money or the refreshment "stand" and never got around to his exhibit. My
                fault. This leads me to another deficiency: the lack of a network at
                VCF. Even without Internet access, a functioning network could add
                another dimension to some exhibits.

                I also never took time to go over to see the progress in the H-building
                area.

                Jim