Re: [midatlanticretro] 1985 - 1995 era computing event - the "post-vintage computer festival 1.0"

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
      On 6/1/11 1:20 PM, B Degnan wrote:
      > Seriously, I would not want everything just mixed together, not sure if
      > it's my need for a sense of order or what. I'd envision a separate post
      > vintage computer festival held someplace...hmmmm.....I like that term
      > "post-vintage computer" festival. Or maybe post-modern computers.

      For nontechnical people who show up out of curiosity, it may give
      them the impression that "vintage computing" is all about early Pentiums
      and stuff like that. They may not even recognize a PDP-11 as being a
      computer at all, and wonder why that weird-looking machine with all the
      lights is set up in here next to all the antique computers running
      Windows 3.0.

      Dave McGuire
      Port Charlotte, FL
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
        B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

        >Not in the same exhibit space. a separate post 85 to pre-Pentium room,
        >with armed guards at the doors to keep them from intimidating the
        >8-bits.

        Remember, there were 36-bits before your beloved 8-bits.
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

          > For nontechnical people who show up out of curiosity, it may give
          >them the impression that "vintage computing" is all about early Pentiums
          >and stuff like that. They may not even recognize a PDP-11 as being a
          >computer at all, and wonder why that weird-looking machine with all the
          >lights is set up in here next to all the antique computers running
          >Windows 3.0.

          It should be limited to machines that run OSs. That would keep all with
          WEENDOZE cruft out of sight! :)
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
            On 6/1/11 2:44 PM, system@... wrote:
            >> For nontechnical people who show up out of curiosity, it may give
            >> them the impression that "vintage computing" is all about early Pentiums
            >> and stuff like that. They may not even recognize a PDP-11 as being a
            >> computer at all, and wonder why that weird-looking machine with all the
            >> lights is set up in here next to all the antique computers running
            >> Windows 3.0.
            >
            > It should be limited to machines that run OSs. That would keep all with
            > WEENDOZE cruft out of sight! :)

            Well yes, there is that.

            Dave McGuire
            Port Charlotte, FL
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
              I agree that a separate show would be counter-productive, but we have
              always had exhibits at VCFE from this era which covered many of the
              topics mentioned. Exhibits based on technology from the 90's need to be
              "interesting" - more than a 286 running Win 3.0 in standard mode. (I
              once had Win 3.0 running on an HP 200LX in real mode, which mm.) A study
              of GUIs has been mentioned many times and would include stuff into the
              mid-90's. Certainly there were networks before 1985 but this is when PC
              LANs first became successful, so just about any networking exhibit will
              extend into the 90's.

              A functioning BBS at VCF would be a ton of fun. It would be awesome if
              there were telephone line simulators so people could connect their own
              machines! Again mid-80's to early 90's technology. One modern PC could
              host several BBS's running in VMs and accessed by telnet.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011

                > A functioning BBS at VCF would be a ton of fun. It would be awesome if
                > there were telephone line simulators so people could connect their own
                > machines! Again mid-80's to early 90's technology. One modern PC could
                > host several BBS's running in VMs and accessed by telnet.

                What about Justin's exhibit?
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
                  I regret to admit that whenever I spoke with Justin we talked about
                  money or the refreshment "stand" and never got around to his exhibit. My
                  fault. This leads me to another deficiency: the lack of a network at
                  VCF. Even without Internet access, a functioning network could add
                  another dimension to some exhibits.

                  I also never took time to go over to see the progress in the H-building
                  area.

                  Jim