1985 - 1995 era computing event - the "post-vintage computer festival 1.0"

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2011

      I wonder what a completely separate 1985 - 1995 era computing event
      would be like.

      C development systems
      OS/2
      Amiga
      Mac II
      Sun
      Novell and Banyan
      etc.

      14.4K modems
      Internet ISP's
      CDRom multimedia
      SoundBlaster music & sound effects
      Desktop Video editing

      but why keep it separate ?
      It's entertaining still to keep it all combined

      desktop publishing and early laser printers

      Not in the same exhibit space.  a separate post 85 to pre-Pentium room, with armed guards at the doors to keep them from intimidating the 8-bits.

      Seriously, I would not want everything just mixed together, not sure if it's my need for a sense of order or what.  I'd envision a separate post vintage computer festival held someplace...hmmmm.....I like that term "post-vintage computer" festival.  Or maybe post-modern computers.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2011
        >>> I wonder what a completely separate 1985 - 1995 era computing event would be like.

        Just so everyone's clear though: Bill is merely pondering. MARCH nor VintageTech, etc., has any such plans to make a mid-80s VCF. Please don't take the idea too seriously.

        Thanks. :)
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2011

          On Jun 1, 2011 1:21 PM, "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
          > Not in the same exhibit space.  a separate post 85 to pre-Pentium room, with armed guards at the doors to keep them from intimidating the 8-bits.

          That might work. There's more room at Infoage now.
          And you can get some kids from dressed in red neon TRON guard outfits standing at the doorway ~haaa
          Don't forget TRON Girl too :)

          > Seriously, I would not want everything just mixed together, not sure if it's my need for a sense of order or what.  I'd envision a separate post vintage computer festival held someplace...hmmmm.....I like that term "post-vintage computer" festival.  Or maybe post-modern computers.

          A separate event  might be be hard to get enough visitors. But it could actually increase the attendance for VCF East.  I think a tip from the gaming shows would be wise to follow. They include just about every generation of gaming, both home and arcade. And they get hundreds n hundreas of people attending. Why create aseparate event when you don't have too.

          =Dan

        • Curt @ Atari Museum
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2011
            That might be interesting... as the show grows, it may be a great idea
            to break it into Decades and exhibit that way.... I loved the
            consignment area, I only picked up one or two tiny things, I'm trying to
            trim down an already bloated collection of things that are not part of
            my core interests, so I had to restrain myself... A true value of the
            consignment/flea market is to give people a place to sell/trade or just
            leave for others equipment that we as enthusiasts in the hobby find
            useful and valuable, so I think its a great thing to get people to dig
            stuff out of their closets and bring the stuff to the shows.
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2011
              "Curt @ Atari Museum" <curt@...> wrote:
              > A true value of the
              > consignment/flea market is to give people a place to sell/trade or just
              > leave for others equipment that we as enthusiasts in the hobby find
              > useful and valuable, so I think its a great thing to get people to dig
              > stuff out of their closets and bring the stuff to the shows.

              I think it's reasonable of Evan to try to balance the primary purpose of VCF-E, as an exhibit and lecture forum, with interests in vending and with "small sales". I see his point about one consignment area as a kind of flea market, and that one of that sort is enough given the venue and its focus.

              I think if vendors are primarily exhibitors and supporters of vintage computing - even if what they show are their own products, or what they show are computers for sale - then I think that is also consistent with Evan's view of VCF-E. (I'm biased of course.) As a practical matter, I doubt any other kind of vendor will find VCF-E very attractive. I'm glad vendors have become a part of the VCF-E program.

              But that's not to say that some OTHER venue could be an open flea market, or could represent a different era of personal computing. But maybe it's not too fair to Evan to talk about other venues, right after he finished VCF-E. He and our colleagues did a good job this year and I'm pleased to have participated, even for some of my grousing here.

              Also, I think it's a little unfair to compare and "grieve" here about Trenton Computer Fest - no club, show, organization in computing "is" what it "was" THIRTY PLUS years ago. They are a survivor and that's just amazing. And the world of available and/or vintage computers is very different today than of one or two decades ago. TCF has evolved to meet circumstances, as I see it.

              But, if people want to develop other venues, it seems reasonable to talk about them after experiencing VCF-E. VCF-E is a catalyst, not a competitor, in my opinion, so I see such discussions as proof of interest and enthusiasm.

              My several cents,
              Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 5, 2011
                > But maybe it's not too fair to Evan to talk about other venues, right after he finished VCF-E

                Thank you. I'm glad someone finally said that.

                > He and our colleagues did a good job this year

                Thank you again.

                > I'm pleased to have participated, even for some of my grousing here.

                We're used to it. :)
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2011
                  > But, if people want to develop other venues, it seems reasonable to talk about them

                  I, for one, would be majorly pissed off if someone started a local
                  vintage computer event outside of MARCH. On the other hand, if you
                  people talk, then it's my job to listen. :)

                  We could do this as a fall event entirely separate from VCF. November
                  might be a good time for it.

                  I envision a single-day straightforward swap meet. No-frills booths for
                  $25 each; general admission for $10 each; kids get in free.

                  That would make it easy for sellers to make back their money, and easy
                  for MARCH to profit.

                  But first I'll check the InfoAge schedule. Will see what else is
                  happening around that time. OMARC seems to have swap meets on a regular
                  basis (but they don't have anything like VCF). I'll find out how they go
                  about it; maybe they'll have some good advice for us.