Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: VCF exhibits / vendors

    Message 1 of 47 , May 31 8:48 PM
      It is going to happen, vintage computing is going to split some time
      soon into two generations. The 16/32 bit GUI era stuff will have a
      separate place, just not sure how it will work. On one hand we have
      pretty much covered the 70's stuff by now, very little new exhibits
      this year of first-time never seen before at a VCF systems. On the
      other hand, newer computers are less of a challenge, you rarely fix
      the innards, it's not the same hacker thing, at least to me.

      If you compare vintage computers to automobiles you can see how
      eventually they let in newer and newer cars each year. In the shows
      they section them like a giant dealership, with the really old ones
      in one spot, the newer ones elsewhere. There are far more newer
      ones. That's because there are always a few less of the older ones
      each year. If we don't allow for some sort of evolution, eventually
      we'll end up with fewer working systems to exhibit.

      To Mike's comment
      It's hard to justify (for me) classifying Amigas and Mac II's as OK
      and not also early Windows (386 at least) boxes, but clearly these
      are all next gen systems that have not been fully "vintage-ified"
      yet. It's a conversation we have every so often, and no one person
      is going to win their argument fully. Me? I welcome the opinions. I
      also have been saving the newer stuff too. What's going to happen
      eventually is that someone will organize a GUI-era vintage computer
      show and the floodgates will open to a new subset of the hobby. And
      that's where the younger people will come in as well.

      I do not wish to have a *what* is vintage debate, what year,
      etc. 16/32 bit computing is historic, it's just a question of how
      does one fit it into our "8-bit centric is the heart of vintage
      computing" world view. I have a feeling it will be a natural
      progression, a little grumbling, and then life moves on.

      Bill

      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 5, 2011
        No luck, sorry.

        From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
        Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:15:54 -0400
        To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Early Pdp 11 assembly training course?

        Great. Fyi they're practically free on half.com etc

        Yahoo! Groups Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/join (Yahoo! ID required)<*> To change settings via email: midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/