Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: VCF exhibits / vendors

    Message 1 of 47 , May 31, 2011
      At 10:25 PM 5/31/2011, you wrote:

      >Eh guys, sorry didn't mean to light a fire. You're right, we're just
      >saying the same thing.
      >
      >When I said flea market vendors, I didn't mean we should have
      >station-wagons lining the parking lot. I meant it in the spirit of
      >what TCF used to have as far as decent stuff, which is long gone.
      >
      >So in its absence, VCF provides a good venue for quality exhibits,
      >talks and some vendors and consignment. What I like is that you can
      >see, touch, ask, etc about items in person. eBay, Craigslist, and
      >vintage forums are good, and I've gotten some great stuff from fair
      >honest people, but I've also gotten junk.
      >
      >The format we have now is great, and all I meant was that I'd like
      >to see it continue and flourish. 'nuff said :)

      Anthony,

      One thing that a lot of people don't consider is that the "old days"
      had great stuff because a lot of these things were not so old at the
      time. An Altair 8800b might only be 8 years old in 1986. Any
      vendor with really good stuff like that would have to know what he
      was doing, people like Herb who show up with working Northstar
      Horizons for sale. That kind of stuff is no longer going to appear
      at a TCF thus the disappointment we all feel when mostly you find
      Pentium III/4 computers (which are 10-7 years old now).

      All that said, we should seek out the professional/commercial vendors
      who can still supply the good stuff. It's a lot easier to just put
      the valuable items on Ebay now a day, and online shopping is one of
      the things that really killed events like TCF. I kind of like the
      idea of "buy this exhibit" if anyone is willing to do it.

      Just thoughts.

      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 5, 2011
        No luck, sorry.

        From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
        Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:15:54 -0400
        To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Early Pdp 11 assembly training course?

        Great. Fyi they're practically free on half.com etc

        Yahoo! Groups Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/join (Yahoo! ID required)<*> To change settings via email: midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/