Re: VCF exhibits / vendors

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 47 , May 31, 2011
      "Evan Koblentz" wrote:

      > This year was the first time we had a vendors area. We'll do it again next year, hopefully with more vendors, but that's the extent of it -- we want to limit this section to actual "vendors" i.e. companies/organizations. The substance of VCF is the exhibits, and we can't risk cannibalizing or diluting that by having a flea market. That's why the consignment area works -- everyone can sell stuff, MARCH does the work, and exhibitors stick to exhibiting.

      As a vendor this year, I think Evan's fears are unfounded or confused, and I can prove it with facts.

      The facts are simple. There were three vendors - myself, with several working systems; a publisher of an Apple II/GS paper journal, looking for subscriptions and sales; and someone with a vintage video gaming system (I think) looking to sell replicas. Their tables looked like any other exhibit, my table less so. No one had junk.

      People asked me questions, discussed their history with the systems I showed. I'm still getting compliments after the show. I'm sure the other vendors got the same response. Again, indistinguishable from exhibitors.

      Evan - how is this "dilution"? How is this "cannibalizing"? Those are loaded words. Stop insulting people who sell stuff.

      If you want to make rules to avoid vendors selling LED flashlights, that's fine - I'm sure they want to avoid venues where they can't sell them. So it's not an issue. As for "flea market" fears, please, please don't make me show 20 people a photo of the MARCH "consignment area" and ask them "is this a flea market?". If MARCH runs the only general sales at your show, whatever you want to call it, that's fine too. My table was not competing with yours, dude, I consigned my small stuff to YOUR table!

      So, thank you for opening tables for vendors. But stop biting the hand that feeds you ($50 a table) while claiming some moral superiority. How about listing vendors on MARCH and VCF Web sites, just like exhibitors were? Then we can add even more value to the event, by attracting visitors. Don't make me a second-class participant.

      Herb Johnson
      capitalist without shame
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 5, 2011
        No luck, sorry.

        From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
        Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:15:54 -0400
        To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Early Pdp 11 assembly training course?

        Great. Fyi they're practically free on half.com etc

        Yahoo! Groups Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/join (Yahoo! ID required)<*> To change settings via email: midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/