My photos, notes on VCF-E 7.0

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2011
      http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/vcfe7.html

      Here's a Web page I created to discuss my activities at VCF-E, as an attendee, a dealer and a participant in Bill's TTY class. I had a lot of fun, and got chops from various folks who liked the stuff I brought. Got lots of support for the work I've done, and gave such support as I could to people who are working on their stuff.

      Bill Degnan and I compared our recent acquisitions: Polymorphic 88 early S-100 systems. That was fun. So was looking over the shoulder at the IBM 1130 evaluation. I worked with a university project that used one of those, I sat on the console and ran the card reader.

      It's a little different to bring stuff to sell versus an exhibit. I was not well prepared, just brought a variety, but every item got some attention. Next time around I think I'll make a mini-exhibit or a stronger theme around what I bring to sell. But I'm real happy with the table for the weekend.

      I brought Claude Kagan on Saturday, by the way, and he enjoyed himself. Mostly kept in the background this year, no presentations from him. He donated some items to MARCH as he often does, and they attracted some interest at my table.

      The TTY's at the Workshop I got will help me and a few other folks. I also picked up some books and a computer or two at the consignment. I consigned some small items myself!

      All of this is my way of saying how MUCH goes on during one of these weekends. Everyone there has their own versions of this kind of story, I hope they share them on their Web sites. My primary interests are in restoration and preserving interest and knowledge - the work that leads to the exhibits we all saw at InfoAge.

      Thanks to the various attendees who let me use their photos, I've acknowledged them I think on my page. Let me know if anything on my page is in error, and I'll add Web links to anyone I've mentioned if they provide them. Link to my page of course from your VCF event pages. Thanks!

      Regards,
      herb johnson
      that S-100 old guy | old S-100 guy
    • epsilonprocess
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2011
        I really enjoyed seeing more vendor activity at VCF this year and hope the trend continues.

        The only reason I looked forward to TCF every year was for the flea market (and some of the talks and presentations) and anticipation of finding lots of interesting vintage pieces.

        Since the TCF flea market seems to have all but vanished, having a vintage-oriented show like VCF that includes flea market vendors and talks brings back a lot nostalgia and excitement of how "vintage" TCF used to be.

        I bought that huge Byte Magazine set at VCF East 6.0 and this year walked out with Herb's Cybertron/Northstar Horizon. Neither helped my poor aching back, especially being an exhibitor this year, but vintage stuff is the best medicine :)

        -Anthony