Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: 1802 in the house, a week too late for VCF

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25 2:30 PM
      "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> writes:

      >It's probably the first microprocessor used in spacecraft, as other
      >chips o= f the era lacked radiation and voltage range tolerance. i
      >reference some of= that history on my Web site.=20

      The 1802, with some special considerations, WAS the chip used in many
      of RCA Astro Space's satellites when I was there. When GE took over,
      they decided to clean house rather thoroughly -- management and the
      RCA 1802 were tossed out. The RCA 1802 was replaced with the Mil-STD
      1760A controller chip used by the US Air Force. This first appeared
      in the ill-fated Mars Observer (MO). I worked on device drivers for
      a cluster of VAX 8800 series machines to control an embedded circuit
      containing this 1760 CPU. The 8800s were used test/verify the flight
      software under simulation while I was at GE.