1802 in the house, a week too late for VCF

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2011
      Despite the ebay seller being a dope (split the kit into 2-3 separate items so I'm now missing the required console), I bought the
      DAGE SCIENTIFIC MC 3
      which is an 1802 CPU based development kit.

      Does anyone have info about this microprocessor development board?
      The mfgr's long gone and my google searches found only ONE fellow who used it long ago.

      According to http://www.cpu-museum.com/180x_e.htm
      The CPU was used in the famous COSMAC microcomputer kit
      as well as in some video games from RCA and Radio Shack.

      thanks!
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 4 , May 24, 2011
        On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 2:11 AM, Jeff Jonas <jeff_s_jonas@...> wrote:
        Despite the ebay seller being a dope (split the kit into 2-3 separate items so I'm now missing the required console), I bought the
        DAGE SCIENTIFIC MC 3
        which is an 1802 CPU based development kit.

        Does anyone have info about this microprocessor development board?
        The mfgr's long gone and my google searches found only ONE fellow who used it long ago.

        According to http://www.cpu-museum.com/180x_e.htm
           The CPU was used in the famous COSMAC microcomputer kit
           as well as in some video games from RCA and Radio Shack.

        and it's the first SOS microprocessor chip used for space exploration

      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 4 , May 25, 2011

          Dan Roganti wrote:

          > and it's the first SOS microprocessor chip used for space exploration

          It's probably the first microprocessor used in spacecraft, as other chips of the era lacked radiation and voltage range tolerance. i reference some of that history on my Web site.

          My Website supports a modern 1802 kit that follows the design of the original RCA COSMAC "Elf", the first of many similar 1802 kits over the decades. The kit I support is Lee Hart's "membership card" and the design of it was discussed in "cosmacelf", a Yahoo discussion group that supports 1802's and Elf kits in general. The DAGE may or may not be an "Elf" derivative.

          http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/memship.html

          Those pages should provide some helpful resources and links.

          herb johnson
          retrotechnology.com
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 25, 2011
            "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> writes:

            >It's probably the first microprocessor used in spacecraft, as other
            >chips o= f the era lacked radiation and voltage range tolerance. i
            >reference some of= that history on my Web site.=20

            The 1802, with some special considerations, WAS the chip used in many
            of RCA Astro Space's satellites when I was there. When GE took over,
            they decided to clean house rather thoroughly -- management and the
            RCA 1802 were tossed out. The RCA 1802 was replaced with the Mil-STD
            1760A controller chip used by the US Air Force. This first appeared
            in the ill-fated Mars Observer (MO). I worked on device drivers for
            a cluster of VAX 8800 series machines to control an embedded circuit
            containing this 1760 CPU. The 8800s were used test/verify the flight
            software under simulation while I was at GE.