Summer 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2011
      Now that I've had about 30 seconds to rest from VCF :) my mind is already on our summer 2011 projects!

      As previously stated, and now summarized here, I see (at least) six group-wide projects for us:

      1. Put like items with like items. Everything we do would be easier if we had all the Apple IIs, C-64s, etc. in their own places.

      2. Test and sell things for which e have four or more (or three or more in special situations) ... Bill Degnan will fix and sell one of our IMSAIs to MARCH members exclusively; who wants to tackle our two pallets of "schleptop" suitcase computers?

      3. Build exhibit room 6 (a., move our stuff out, b., infoage moves its stuff out, c., infoage paints etc., d., MARCH moves in there).

      4. We finally build "The Green Screen Experience" in which we put a terminal in every exhibit; visitors would use easy-to-follow commands to get info about the exhibit rather than needing a tour guide the whole time. This can be run on a modern server, and various people already offered hardware. Nobody's told me yet how exactly they would build the system, make it easy for morons (like me :) ) to update the content, and keep it all inexpensive. In theory this could be the same server running our simulated BBS for Room 6. We want kids to "dial in", hear the handshake, etc.

      5. Library improvements. As you all know, we threw the library together pre-VCF. It doesn't suck, in fact, it looks great. But one of the corners we cut (to save time) was to only organize by decade (50s/60s/70s/80s) and then by title. We need to go back and organize by subject.

      6. Museum ambiance. We need all kinds of artwork, brochures, posters, etc. to make our walls more interesting.

      Anyway: I'll return to a "most Sundays" schedule will help from Jeff B., Matt, etc. throughout the summer. No more weekdays or Saturdays; that was just a pre-VCF thing) unless we have specific projects.