Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: There's a Teletype in my Kitchen !

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 9 , May 19, 2011
      On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 07:18:14AM -0000, Jeff Jonas wrote:

      > As to the "20 read max", I wonder if that's assuming readers that poke
      > pins into the tape like the TTY reader, or drag star-spurs on them like
      > the Tally readers vs. the pure optical ones that MIGHT have a feed
      > sprocket instead of a pinch roller.

      I would think that only appies to mechanical readers. I haven't seen much
      evidence of rapid wear from reading on the DEC optical reader. It does use
      physical pins on the feed holes but on a big diameter wheel so more holes
      are engaged. The limit is more often when something goes wrong. The most
      common is it doesn't fold properly on the output side so either it dumps the
      tape on the floor or it bunches up in the reader which can smush it up some.
      If the tape gets a small tear in it that can jam the reader which can make
      the tear worse or sometimes tear a feed hole. If the tape has been stored
      poorly two folds can stick together and jam the reader also.