VCF results = good!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2011
      Helloooo MARCHins.

      Our version of the VCF East is getting so massive that we're beyond citing specific numbers. We did really well, and Justin will share an annual report about our finances later this year.

      Attendance, as predicted, was basically flat vs. VCF East 6.0 but it seemed lower because we had two exhibit halls, two workshops, and more museum exhibits, thereby thinning the congestion. The "insane crowd" last time was more a product of putting that show in too small of a venue!

      A tell-tale sign of our success: for the first time in our five VCF East shows, there was a point when people commented about having to drive around to find parking, like Christmas season at the mall ...

      Bill's and Dan's workshops turned out great, as did the IBM 1130 "live eval" project, and all of the lectures were awesome.

      As I mentioned yesterday, MARCH picked up some nice artifact donations -- an 11/23 Plus, TRS-80 desk, UNIVAC 1 manuals, etc.

      In the next few weeks we'll fix some of the museum exhibit shortcuts that we took because of time constraints pre-show, such as not doing enough signage, etc.

      Also this summer we'll continue restoring and selling some items from the Kirk rescue, which will benefit his family and MARCH too -- that's an ongoing win-win.

      There are other exciting things in the planning stages. For example me and Degnan are discussing a cool web project that we might do on MARCH's behalf .... I'd love to tell you guys about it now but we need more time to relax and then decide if we really have the bandwidth to take it on right now.

      A museum project that's already public is our Room 6 "recent history" exhibit. That will be fun. GUI evolution; BBS/Lynx; portables; etc.

      At some point, perhaps soon, we'll also expand Room 1 by clearing the small storage area behind the Big Iron components exhibit and maybe putting the 1130 on display. :)

      Event-wise, next up is Maker Faire NYC again .....

      Anyway, our club will produce plenty of fun this summer, mostly funded by everyone's hard work on VCF East 7.0.

      The nearest-term plan is just to bask in our glory for a couple of weeks. :)