Re: [midatlanticretro] semi-OT: Compaq SLT

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2006

      Ah ha! The message "RTC lost power" means that the CMOS battery is dead and
      needs to be replaced. Start removing the easy stuff, like the main battery,
      and look for removable hatches anywhere that might hide the battery. If you
      are lucky, it will be fairly easy to access and replace. However, in my last
      Winbook the battery was so well hidden that it was "not user replaceable" and
      I had to send the unit in for service just to have it replaced.

      Once the CMOS has power you will be able to set the hard drive options and
      get the machine up and running. Go to the HP/Compaq web site, search for your
      model and download everthing you can find. You might find instructions on how
      to open the system up for service (like replacing the hard drive). Also
      search for your model on Google/Yahoo. There are many web sites with info on
      how to modify laptops.

      If you decide to try to open the laptop they often hide screws under the
      rubber feet on the bottom of the case and under the plastic sheet with the
      model number, power info, etc. Feel with your finger for a soft spot under
      that area to find the screws. Remove all the screws you can find and slowly
      pry open the case using a dull knife to split the case at the joints. Work
      slowly as there are often plastic tabs that interlock to hold the case
      together and you don't want to break those tabs. If the case does not start
      to split fairly easily, there are probably more screws. Just remember that if
      the service guys can open the case, you can, too. The only advantage they
      have is experience and the right tools. <g> Work slowly and don't force

      One more hint: sometimes the screen must be removed before you can split the
      case to open the unit.