VCF East 7.0 over

  • Matt Patoray
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15 5:10 PM
      Hello all,

      Enjoyed myself throughly at my first VCF east and made lots of good fiends.

      Safe travels to all of you, looks like I'll be getting in about 3:30-4 am :)

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Bob Flanders
      Message 2 of 6 , May 15 7:37 PM
        All,

        Thanks for a great show. As a new member, I felt very welcome and at home. The displays were great and I appreciate the hard work that MARCH put into making this happen. Special thanks to both Evan and Bill.

        Best Regards,
        Bob Flanders

        On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Matt Patoray <mspatoray@...> wrote:

        Hello all,

        Enjoyed myself throughly at my first VCF east and made lots of good fiends.

        Safe travels to all of you, looks like I'll be getting in about 3:30-4 am :)

        Sent from my iPhone

      • darren_outatime
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16 1:02 PM
          Great to meet you Matt! I will take good care of your TRS-80 Model 100 :) Let's stay in touch!

          -Darren (outatime@...)

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Matt Patoray <mspatoray@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > Enjoyed myself throughly at my first VCF east and made lots of good fiends.
          >
          > Safe travels to all of you, looks like I'll be getting in about 3:30-4 am :)
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone

        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 6 , May 16 2:28 PM
            I also enjoyed the VCF E 7.0 show, as a vendor and general participant. I wasn't sure what to offer to sell as working systems, so I brought a variety. There was interest in all of them - IBM PC's, a Northstar Horizon, an Apple II B&H "black" model, Osborne 1, AT&T 386 system. And I did sell a few of them. On Sunday I was able to show Lee Hart's COSMAC ELF (RCA 1802) derivative computer, a hand-held toggle-switch "Membership Card". Several people knew about the ELF or Lee's M/S Card & wanted more info.

            So, although I was one of the "dark side" vendors, I believe I had the only running S-100 system in the show and certainly the only 1802 system. And, among the oldest running computers too (vs. the PDP-8, the oldest Apple II's, the Digital Group system). Next time, I'll see about a better display of my "wares".

            That DG system was great to see, it was an important early computer in its time and has not been seen often since. The assessment of the IBM 1130 was awesome and technically informative to me. And I participated in Bill Degnan's TTY workshop and was informed about the key things needed to use the Model 33's in current-loop mode, and key points about restoring operation. There was some real-time work done on Degnan's Polymorphic 88 system - and mine was there for comparison.

            The VCF is an opportunity to learn more about any of the computers exhibited, from people who know them. I spent time with several exhibitors - not enough of course - and learned something about their work and activities. Helped a bit where I could, and got some help also; and it's good to see people I've corresponded with or assisted. I regret I did not have time for talks, I had to manage my booth, but I did catch the roundtable about mid-1970's early personal computing.

            And the consignment corner had quite a variety of systems and books, I participated there also. While the two-room layout did split the crowd a bit, it worked out overall and the space was certainly needed.

            So I enjoyed the event and it worked well for me. I see some photos in the Photos area in Yahoo, I'll add some in a few days.

            Regards and thanks to all,
            Herb Johnson
            retrotechnology.com
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 6 , May 19 11:41 AM
              P.S. I failed to mention Bill Degnan's STWP 6800 system among the oldest systems at the show.

              Also: does anyone have photos of the Digital Group booth? Contact me at retrotechnology.com.

              Herb JOhnson
            • s100doctor
              Message 6 of 6 , May 30 5:07 PM

                > P.S. I failed to mention Bill Degnan's STWP 6800 system among the oldest systems at the show.
                >
                > Also: does anyone have photos of the Digital Group booth? Contact me at retrotechnology.com.
                >
                > Herb JOhnson

                Bill reminded me his SWTP 6800 system was older than my Northstar. Curses! ;)

                I got DG photos from a number of folks, thanks. Turns out I have some DG cards and I'm chatting with Michael Hill, who worked the exhibit. My VCF-E photos and some narrative is at this Web page:

                http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/vcfe7.html

                Herb