Possible Phila Vintage Comptuer Event?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2006
      I have been asked by a member of the Philadelphia Area Computer Society
      (pacsnet.org) if MARCH would be interested in doing a vintage computer
      display/tables for their 30th anniversary convention, similar to the
      Trenton event last year. The event is scheduled for March.

      I am waiting for more details. I will follow up to see what our options
      are. Anyone interested?

      Bill D

      -- E N D --
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 22, 2006
        We should do a SMALL exhibit, just one or two tables with a few simple machines and club literature, rather than a serious project like at Trenton last year.  And then we should repeat the small exhibit at Trenton again this year.  The goal is to just serve an appetizer at PACS, Trenton, etc., in order make them attend VCF for the main course.  In fact, if anything, we should invite groups like ACGNJ and PACs to bring their own club-sponsored exhibits to OUR show.  It is very important that we don't cannibalize our show attendance by doing too much elsewhere.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 22, 2006
          Evan <evan947@...> wrote :

          > We should do a
          > SMALL exhibit, just one or two tables with a few simple machines and club
          > literature, rather than a serious project like at Trenton last year.  And
          > then we should repeat the small exhibit at Trenton again this year.  The
          > goal is to just serve an appetizer at PACS, Trenton, etc., in order make
          > them attend VCF for the main course.  In fact, if anything, we should
          > invite groups like ACGNJ and PACs to bring their own club-sponsored exhibits to
          > OUR show.  It is very important that we don't cannibalize our show
          > attendance by doing too much elsewhere.

          The flip side is that if MARCH does a small show, people won't be overly
          excited about it. The more you show off, the better the chances of finding
          people with common interests. Someone at TCF had a bunch of OSI machines
          and someone else had a KIM-1... my first two computers. If you had just
          the Commodore, PDP-8, and S-100 machines, I'd have been much less
          interested.

          The more you show, the more interest you generate. After all, someone
          will say "Gee, look at all the stuff they have here... there will probably
          be a lot more when they hold THEIR show!"

          If you don't have a lot of machines at a show, then at least have pictures
          of some of the machines that will likely be at another show. Ie, they'll get
          fired up because they'll see the extent of member collections and are more
          likely to find someone with common interests.

          Bob

          ___________________________________
          NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 22, 2006
            Pictures are a good idea, as are posters, literature, etc.

            I'm sure we would all enjoy doing this show, Trenton, etc., but we must carefully use our resources.  Not only will VCF East be our flagship event, it's also a big fundraising opportunity.  So we need to put the majority of our work into this one event.  This is the event where people will come from several states away, there might be newspaper/TV coverage, and we have the full support of the overall InfoAge organization.  So we need to tease people at other events to come to our event -- not bring too much of our event to them.

            > SMALL exhibit, just one or two tables with a few simple machines and
            club
            > literature, rather than a serious project like at Trenton last
            year.&nbsp; And
            > then we should repeat the small exhibit at Trenton
            again this year.&nbsp; The
            > goal is to just serve an appetizer at
            PACS, Trenton, etc.,&nbsp;in order make
            > them attend VCF for the
            main course.&nbsp; In fact, if anything, we should
            > invite groups
            like ACGNJ and PACs to bring their own club-sponsored exhibits to
            > OUR
            show.&nbsp; It is very important that we don't cannibalize our show

[...]

          • macmothership
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
              I know that not everyone is a big fan of Apple Computer, but as Andy said at Trenton last
              year, "The beige draws them like moth's to a lightbulb!"
              Since the Apple Lisa and/or the first Mac 128k are pretty recognizable, if you think they
              would add something to the display, let me know, and I will bring them.

              -Jim

              ,

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:

              > Pictures are a good idea, as are posters, literature, etc.
              >
              > I'm sure we would all enjoy doing this show, Trenton, etc., but we must
              > carefully use our resources. Not only will VCF East be our flagship event,
              > it's also a big fundraising opportunity. So we need to put the majority of
              > our work into this one event. This is the event where people will come from
              > several states away, there might be newspaper/TV coverage, and we have the
              > full support of the overall InfoAge organization. So we need to tease
              > people at other events to come to our event -- not bring too much of our
              > event to them.
              >
              > _____

              +trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
              > SwdHWZfg> trip
              >
              > _____
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >

              > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
              >

              > _____

            • Degnan
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
                Jim,
                why not?

                my thoughts expand..

                I have not heard a convincing arguement why we should not bring as
                many people as we can to demo their vintage stuff at the TCF.

                further...

                It it were possible as an organization to do a show every two months
                that'd be great. A CT / NY show for example that those who live
                up there can attend.

                I guess my underlying issue is that we should have more activities
                in a decentralized fashion. It will build members and get us more
                $$. My concept of a state chairman who can organize local events
                independently.

                I feel guilty that I can't work at the Wall NY InfoAge as much as
                I'd like, but I do wish that I could do more here in my state (Delaware)
                to further the hobby.
                Bill

                At Monday, 23 January 2006, you wrote:

                >I know that not everyone is a big fan of Apple Computer, but as
                Andy said
                >at Trenton last
                >year, "The beige draws them like moth's to a lightbulb!"
                >Since the Apple Lisa and/or the first Mac 128k are pretty recognizable,
                >if you think they
                >would add something to the display, let me know, and I will bring
                them.

                >-Jim
                >
                >,
                >
                >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Pictures are a good idea, as are posters, literature, etc.
                >>
                >> I'm sure we would all enjoy doing this show, Trenton, etc., but
                we must
                >> carefully use our resources. Not only will VCF East be our flagship
                event,
                >> it's also a big fundraising opportunity. So we need to put the
                majority of
                >> our work into this one event. This is the event where people
                will come from
                >> several states away, there might be newspaper/TV coverage, and
                we have the
                >> full support of the overall InfoAge organization. So we need
                to tease
                >> people at other events to come to our event -- not bring too much
                of our
                >> event to them.
                >>
                >> _____

                Service
                >> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                >>

                >> _____
                >>

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                -- E N D --
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
                  >>> I have not heard a convincing arguement why we should not bring as many
                  people as we can to demo their vintage stuff at the TCF.

                  My concern is that we'd give the public their fill, so when VCF comes around
                  (the events are so close together), they might not bother to come. And
                  since VCF is our event (vs. us attending some other event), we could be
                  shooting ourselves in the foot. Also, since this is our first VCF, we
                  should put as much energy as possible into this one basket. If we succeed
                  then we can branch out in the future.

                  Please trust me on this -- we really, really need to focus on getting people
                  to come to OUR event. So for TCF and the Philly show, we should do what
                  Frank suggested, which is to have a table / small exhibit and maybe give a
                  talk to explain our hobby.

                  Bill, I do like your of "local whips". Our club gatherings so far have been
                  at InfoAge not just because it's convenient for me (kidding!) but because
                  that's where there is work to do (museum.) So I propose we have the first
                  MARCH Social Event at your house. :)

                  Having said that, I'll talk with Fred soon about finding out Mr. Grabbe's
                  availability for us to pick up the rest of his giant collection.

                  I have not heard a convincing arguement why we should not bring as
                  many people as we can to demo their vintage stuff at the TCF.

                  further...

                  It it were possible as an organization to do a show every two months that'd
                  be great. A CT / NY show for example that those who live up there can
                  attend.

                  I guess my underlying issue is that we should have more activities in a
                  decentralized fashion. It will build members and get us more $$. My
                  concept of a state chairman who can organize local events independently.

                  I feel guilty that I can't work at the Wall NY InfoAge as much as I'd like,
                  but I do wish that I could do more here in my state (Delaware) to further
                  the hobby.
                  Bill

                  At Monday, 23 January 2006, you wrote:

                  >I know that not everyone is a big fan of Apple Computer, but as
                  Andy said
                  >at Trenton last
                  >year, "The beige draws them like moth's to a lightbulb!"
                  >Since the Apple Lisa and/or the first Mac 128k are pretty recognizable,
                  >if you think they would add something to the display, let me know, and
                  >I will bring
                  them.

                  >-Jim
                  >
                  >,
                  >
                  >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Pictures are a good idea, as are posters, literature, etc.
                  >>
                  >> I'm sure we would all enjoy doing this show, Trenton, etc., but
                  we must
                  >> carefully use our resources. Not only will VCF East be our flagship
                  event,
                  >> it's also a big fundraising opportunity. So we need to put the
                  majority of
                  >> our work into this one event. This is the event where people
                  will come from
                  >> several states away, there might be newspaper/TV coverage, and
                  we have the
                  >> full support of the overall InfoAge organization. So we need
                  to tease
                  >> people at other events to come to our event -- not bring too much
                  of our
                  >> event to them.
                  >>
                  >> _____

                  Service