introduction

  • b_syp
    Message 1 of 20 , May 7, 2011
      EVAN SAID FOR ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF SO HERE GOES.

      My involvement with computers started in the very early 80s with a Timex-Sinclair, which I happily learned to program. I decided shortly thereafter to run my office using Franklin ACE 1000s (made in Pennsauken, NJ) which I did for the rest of the decade into the early 90s. SHortly thereafter, I switched over to PCs.

      I learned to program the ACEs and used them in class (I began my teaching career as an adjunct at a local community college). The lab still used APPLE IIes in the mid80s. I taught logic primarily and I told the head of the nascent computer department that I wanted to write a program for my class. She said I would be unable to do so; I wrote a program that analyzed syllogisms (in any possible form) in 20k of BASIC code. Later, when the college upgraded to PCs (part of my decision to shift to PCs was this), I rewrote the program in VB3.

      I was also messing with AI and, especially, expert systems.

      To make a long story short, I eventually got my current teaching position in Rowan University's computer science department where I teach programming to beginners, and do linguistics and robotics. I am currently rehabbing a 1985 Heath Hero Jr for the department. It uses a Motorola 6808 processor. I may pester the members for help with programming this beast.
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 20 , May 7, 2011

        On May 7, 2011, at 8:12 PM, b_syp wrote:

        My involvement with computers started in the very early 80s with a Timex-Sinclair, which I happily learned to program. I decided shortly thereafter to run my office using Franklin ACE 1000s (made in Pennsauken, NJ) which I did for the rest of the decade into the early 90s. SHortly thereafter, I switched over to PCs.

        Howdy from one of the former software engineers at Franklin :-)  I worked on the 1000 and some of the peripheral boards.

        To make a long story short, I eventually got my current teaching position in Rowan University's computer science department where I teach programming to beginners, and do linguistics and robotics. I am currently rehabbing a 1985 Heath Hero Jr for the department. It uses a Motorola 6808 processor. I may pester the members for help with programming this beast.

        I have a Jr in my basement but haven't done much with it in a long time.  Have schematics and various tech notes.

        Bob

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 20 , May 7, 2011
          On Sun, 8 May 2011, b_syp wrote:

          > To make a long story short, I eventually got my current teaching
          > position in Rowan University's computer science department where I teach
          > programming to beginners, and do linguistics and robotics.

          I own the VAX 4000/300 that was online at Rowan as saturn.rowan.edu
          until 2001:

          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VAX/

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 20 , May 7, 2011
            Welcome
            One of our exhibits at this upcoming vcf is a Hero II.

            Bill Degnan

            > EVAN SAID FOR ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF SO HERE GOES.
            >
            > My involvement with computers started in the very early 80s with a
            Timex-Sinclair, which I happily learned to program. I decided shortly
            thereafter to run my office using Franklin ACE 1000s (made in Pennsauken,
            NJ) which I did for the rest of the decade into the early 90s. SHortly
            thereafter, I switched over to PCs.

            > I learned to program the ACEs and used them in class (I began my teaching
            career as an adjunct at a local community college). The lab still used
            APPLE IIes in the mid80s. I taught logic primarily and I told the head of
            the nascent computer department that I wanted to write a program for my
            class. She said I would be unable to do so; I wrote a program that analyzed
            syllogisms (in any possible form) in 20k of BASIC code. Later, when the
            college upgraded to PCs (part of my decision to shift to PCs was this), I
            rewrote the program in VB3.

            > I was also messing with AI and, especially, expert systems.
            >
            > To make a long story short, I eventually got my current teaching position
            in Rowan University's computer science department where I teach programming
            to beginners, and do linguistics and robotics. I am currently rehabbing a
            1985 Heath Hero Jr for the department. It uses a Motorola 6808 processor. I
            may pester the members for help with programming this beast.

          • Matthew Mikolay
            Message 5 of 20 , May 7, 2011
              Welcome to the group!

              I actually participated in Rowan's Computer Science contest this year. Got fourth place! It was a ton of fun.

              mattmik

              Message 6 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                and my mom teaches there (in the educational studies dept). She used to
                complain about the Franklin computer all the time, when she had to use it
                for teaching students in 5th grade.

                Bill Degnan

                > I actually participated in Rowan's Computer Science contest this year.
                Got fourth place! It was a ton of fun.

                > mattmik
                >
                > --- On Sat, 5/7/11, b_syp <sypniewski@...> wrote:
                > >To make a long story short, I eventually got my current teaching
                position in Rowan University's computer science department where I teach
                programming to beginners, and do linguistics and robotics. I am currently
                rehabbing a 1985 Heath Hero Jr for the department. It uses a Motorola 6808
                processor. I may pester the members for help with programming this beast.

              • Sypniewski, Bernard Paul
                Message 7 of 20 , May 8, 2011
                  Really? We will be there Saturday. Will it?
                  Bernard Sypniewski
                  Department of Computer Science
                  Rowan University - Camden Campus

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 8, 2011
                    Does it have my old information on it? I doubt that the network people would have scrubbed it. Is it still running?

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 8, 2011
                      I may have some things to talk to you about. One of my semi-long-term (depending on retirement) goals is to use a Franklin as a super-microcontroller of sorts to run, perhaps, a greenhouse (non-commercial). I need to know how to get sensor infomation into the thing. I have an Applied Engineering I/O32 board which can control a bunch of relays. I've never used it and hope that I haven't misplaced the documentation but hope springs eternal.

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 8, 2011
                          Just saw your note at the bottom about a Hero Jr. in your basement. Is it completed? Does it work?

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 8, 2011
                            No old info on it. Yes, it still runs. I loaded OpenVMS 7.3 on it and
                            fire it up once in a while.

                          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 9, 2011
                              Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                              > No old info on it. Yes, it still runs. I loaded OpenVMS 7.3 on it
                              >and fire it up once in a while.

                              Next time you boot it type:

                              $ HELP SHOW USERS EXAMPLES

                              and

                              $ HELP SHOW DEFAULT EXAMPLES
                            • Branedy
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 29, 2012
                                Sorry, I've been lurking here for a week or so, having just completed building one of Lee Hart's Membership Cards.

                                I am a 30+ years veteran of 'working with computers' (as IT hardly covers it). I have a modest collection of old computers and I original built my first 'computer' out of a popular electronics Analog kit. which at the time I didn't understand. I have two applications in the DECUS program library, the first in 1984.

                                Some of my toys are listed here;

                                https://rwjordan.wordpress.com/my-computer-collection/
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDl_LgYpcw
                                http://www.branedy.net/?tag=membership-card

                                RJ

                                branedy@...
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 29, 2012
                                  On 05/29/2012 04:35 AM, Branedy wrote:
                                  > Sorry, I've been lurking here for a week or so, having just completed building one of Lee Hart's Membership Cards.
                                  >
                                  > I am a 30+ years veteran of 'working with computers' (as IT hardly covers it). I have a modest collection of old computers and I original built my first 'computer' out of a popular electronics Analog kit. which at the time I didn't understand. I have two applications in the DECUS program library, the first in 1984.
                                  >
                                  > Some of my toys are listed here;
                                  >
                                  > https://rwjordan.wordpress.com/my-computer-collection/
                                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDl_LgYpcw
                                  > http://www.branedy.net/?tag=membership-card

                                  Hey, another TI CC40 owner! That's one of the newest things I have
                                  here (my focus is on much older machines), but it was just so damn neat
                                  that I couldn't pass it up. I also had a 20th Anniversary Mac for quite
                                  a while; it was my "kitchen table machine" in my bachelor days.
                                  Regrettably, I sold it, during a tough time, but it paid my rent and
                                  kept me fed for quite a few months.

                                  Your PDP-8 definitely caught my attention. Nice! "Standard" 8/m
                                  front panel with LEDs, or do you have an 8/e front panel in it? Any
                                  peripherals?

                                  Welcome!

                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                  New Kensington, PA
                                • Branedy
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 29, 2012

                                    -- Your PDP-8 definitely caught my attention. Nice! "Standard" 8/m
                                    -- front panel with LEDs, or do you have an 8/e front panel in it? Any
                                    -- peripherals?

                                    No the PDP-8/M is straight, it was removed from a printing press operation in Dallas, TX so it's got plenty of I/O cables, it has 4Kwords of Core and when last powered up it started up on the last program loaded.

                                    The CC-40 has most of the accessories printer/plotter, RS232, Modem, 80 Column printer, finance, AEE and Memo processor, 16K modules

                                    There are plenty of 8in floppy drives and montiors/keyboards/ mice, to make them all work. The wife hates it all :-)

                                    RJ

                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 29, 2012
                                      On 05/29/2012 01:12 PM, Branedy wrote:
                                      > -- Your PDP-8 definitely caught my attention. Nice! "Standard" 8/m
                                      > -- front panel with LEDs, or do you have an 8/e front panel in it? Any
                                      > -- peripherals?
                                      >
                                      > No the PDP-8/M is straight, it was removed from a printing press
                                      > operation in Dallas, TX so it's got plenty of I/O cables, it has 4Kwords
                                      > of Core and when last powered up it started up on the last program loaded.

                                      Nice!

                                      > The CC-40 has most of the accessories printer/plotter, RS232, Modem, 80
                                      > Column printer, finance, AEE and Memo processor, 16K modules

                                      Oh wow, VERY nice! I just have the base unit. I always wonder why it
                                      wasn't more popular; it seems like a really nice design. I'd never even
                                      heard of it back in its day.

                                      > There are plenty of 8in floppy drives and montiors/keyboards/ mice, to
                                      > make them all work. The wife hates it all :-)

                                      That problem can be solved! ;)

                                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                      New Kensington, PA
                                    • joshbensadon
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 29, 2012
                                        Hi Randy,

                                        You definitely have a nice collection! I'm looking forward to hearing lots about your computers! I like how you made a list of your computers, I think I need to do the same... someday.

                                        Cheers,
                                        Josh

                                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Branedy <branedy@...> wrote:

                                        > Sorry, I've been lurking here for a week or so, having just completed building one of Lee Hart's Membership Cards.
                                        >
                                        > I am a 30+ years veteran of 'working with computers' (as IT hardly covers it). I have a modest collection of old computers and I original built my first 'computer' out of a popular electronics Analog kit. which at the time I didn't understand. I have two applications in the DECUS program library, the first in 1984.
                                        >
                                        > Some of my toys are listed here;
                                        >
                                        > https://rwjordan.wordpress.com/my-computer-collection/
                                        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDl_LgYpcw
                                        > http://www.branedy.net/?tag=membership-card
                                        >
                                        > RJ
                                        >

                                        > branedy@...
                                        > |<-------------------------->| Email
                                        > |<--------->| Twitter
                                        > |<------------>| WWW
                                        > |<------>| Skype
                                        > |<------>| Yahoo IM
                                        > |<------>| AIM IM
                                        > |<---------->| ekiga.net

                                      • Jonathan Carpenter
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 31, 2014
                                          Hi,

                                          I've been lurking on this list for a while so I thought that it was
                                          time I introduce myself.

                                          I've been using computers for probably 40 years now. I remember as a
                                          child going to Univ. of Massachusetts to use what I called "Turtle
                                          Graphics" to draw pictures with both a plotter and a robot turtle
                                          holding a pen, which I later realized was Logo. As a teenager I lived
                                          in Vermont for several years and hung out at the local computer store,
                                          as much as the owner would let me, using computers from companies such
                                          as Polymorphic Systems, TDL, Cromenco, Altair, and Apple. I still
                                          remember seeing Kaleidoscope on the Cromemco Dazzler for the first
                                          time there. I first wanted to buy a Polymorphic Poly-88 but couldn't
                                          afford it, later it was a Exidy Sorcerer, and finally an Apple IIe.
                                          It wasn't until college that I was able to buy my own Macintosh 128k,
                                          which I still have. I have also built a Cosmac Elf and a Quest Super
                                          Elf from kits, and more recently an Elf 2000 and Membership Card Elf.
                                          I have built several other computer kits and Mike Willegal's Mimeo is
                                          next on my todo list.

                                          Since college I have worked on, to some degree or another, a Univac
                                          1100/60, several DEC Vaxen, IBM 1130, 5100, 4341, 9370, AS/400 and
                                          RS/6000, and many PCs and Macs running running DOS, Windows, Mac OS,
                                          and Linux. My vintage computer collection is small, limited by my
                                          one-bedroom condo and a storage unit, but I do have several Macs, PCs,
                                          an Apple II, and a Timex Sinclair 2068, as well as the Elf kits I have
                                          built. I also have several 3Com Audreys, but I don't think they
                                          qualify as vintage (yet).

                                          I live in Natick, Mass, about 20 miles west of Boston. If I lived
                                          closer, I'd probably be attending more MARCH events and helping out at
                                          the museum, but the 10 hour round trip drive is a bit much.

                                          I was at VCF 8 two years ago, and I will be at VCF 9.1 this Friday to
                                          Sunday. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, taking the classes,
                                          and seeing the exhibits.

                                          --Jon Carpenter

                                          jfcarpenter@...
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 31, 2014
                                            > I've been lurking on this list for a while so I thought that it was
                                            > time I introduce myself. .....>
                                            > I was at VCF 8 two years ago, and I will be at VCF 9.1 this Friday to
                                            > Sunday. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, taking the classes,
                                            > and seeing the exhibits.
                                            >
                                            > --Jon Carpenter

                                            John: Nice to meet you (if we didn't meet at 8.0). That is a darn good
                                            introduction! Looking forward to meeting in person this weekend.

                                            - Evan K.