static ip

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2006
      Verizon used to specify in their radio ads that a
      statis IP was doled out with their business class DSL.
      I was led to believe that cable and dsl subscribers
      got a static ip whether they liked it or not, but I
      guess I was in error.
      --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      <jscheef@...> wrote:
      > David,
      >
      > Many ISPs offer a static address at an extra charge.
      My cable company
      > (Charter) has business packages with an option for
      one or more static
      > addresses. I just looked at SBC-Yahoo DSL and static
      packages are no longer
      > listed. I use a local ISP here in Connecticut that
      offers a static address
      > over DSL as standard. Mags Net serves all of CT so
      "local" does not need to
      > be in your back yard.
      >
      > I would really like to see several terminals running
      in our museum for
      > visitors to view interactive information about the
      exhibits and the
      > collection. This information would come from a small
      VAX or something
      > suitably vintage. It would be nice if this could
      demonstrate DECnet and other
      > technology of the time.
      >
      > Jim
      >
      > --- David Comley <david_comley@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I have been working on trying to get this set up.
      > > There have been a couple of challenges - getting a
      > > static IP address for one thing, and my choice of
      > > bridging host (a Sparcstation IPX) turned out to
      be
      > > less than ideal. But progress is being made and
      once
      > > it's up and running I'll share details if anyone's
      > > interested.
      > >
      > > -Dave Comley

      > > > connected to this network (see
      > > > long-term for our museum.)

      protection around

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 22, 2006
        Dave,

        There may be another way - use a dynamic DNS service like dyndns.org. I ran a
        web site out of my basement for a couple of years using this service over a
        Charter cable modem. My IP address changed about every month. When this
        happened, my router would notify the dyndns.org server of the new address and
        their DNS server would then update to the new IP address. While less than
        ideal, it did work. If you can use a URL instead of an IP address to set up
        the DECnet, then you may not need a true static address.

        Jim

      • David Comley
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
          Jim,

          I already tried that approach - unfortunately what we
          figured out was that the bridge program that tunnels
          the DECnet traffic caches IP addresses on startup, so
          if the IP address changes after the bridge comes up,
          it stops working even though the name now resolves to
          the new address.

          I'll probably keep my dyndns domain active though just
          for the hell of it (collection.homeunix.net).

          -Dave

          --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

          > Dave,
          >
          > There may be another way - use a dynamic DNS service
          > like dyndns.org. I ran a
          > web site out of my basement for a couple of years
          > using this service over a
          > Charter cable modem. My IP address changed about
          > every month. When this
          > happened, my router would notify the dyndns.org
          > server of the new address and
          > their DNS server would then update to the new IP
          > address. While less than
          > ideal, it did work. If you can use a URL instead of
          > an IP address to set up
          > the DECnet, then you may not need a true static
          > address.
          >
          > Jim

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • William Pechter
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
            One thing you could do is have a program that watches for the change in ip at the dns and have it restart the decnet bridge...

            bill

            --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

            > Dave,
            >
            > There may be another way - use a dynamic DNS service
            > like dyndns.org. I ran a
            > web site out of my basement for a couple of years
            > using this service over a
            > Charter cable modem. My IP address changed about
            > every month. When this
            > happened, my router would notify the dyndns.org
            > server of the new address and
            > their DNS server would then update to the new IP
            > address. While less than
            > ideal, it did work. If you can use a URL instead of
            > an IP address to set up
            > the DECnet, then you may not need a true static
            > address.
            >
            > Jim

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Degnan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
              You can do all of that, but from my experience it's more trouble
              than it's worth.

              I suggest that you set up a router cablable of doing a NAT translation
              and assign a permanent internal IP. You can do with with Linux and
              don't even need a hardware router. You can use Linux for the firewall
              as well. That way, no matter what the external IP is, you have an
              internal IP that stays the same. Let the router deal with the outside
              world. There's a bit more to it than what I describe, but use of
              NAT will solve most of your problems.
              Bill D

              At Monday, 23 January 2006, you wrote:

              >One thing you could do is have a program that watches for the change
              in ip at the dns and have it restart the decnet bridge... bill David
              Comley <david_comley@...> wrote: Jim, I already tried
              that approach - unfortunately what we figured out was that the bridge
              program that tunnels the DECnet traffic caches IP addresses on startup,
              so if the IP address changes after the bridge comes up, it stops
              working even though the name now resolves to the new address. I'll
              probably keep my dyndns domain active though just for the hell of
              it (collection.homeunix.net). -Dave --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@yahoo.
              com> wrote: > Dave, > > There may be another way - use a dynamic
              __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail.yahoo.com

              > Vintage computer
              >
              > Computer security
              >
              > Computer training
              >
              > Field trip

              -- E N D --
            • David Comley
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
                Not sure that NAT helps in this situation - the guy at
                the 'far end' has to be able to resolve the name to an
                address, and then that address has to stay the same
                after it's cached by the bridge. I have NAT set up
                here at home and my servers have private static
                addresses but the outside world has no visibility of
                them so no-one can really access them except via the
                address of my router and the port forwarding I set up.

                It's an interesting problem and I wish there were a
                decent workaround based on static names or something
                similar. I had a conversation with Johnny Billquist
                who set up HECnet and wrote the bridge program. His
                view on using dynamic addresses was that there would
                always be an uncertain period when a static name
                mapped to a dynamic address would no longer match
                correctly so there would be brief periods where the
                DECnet traffic could be sent to an unsuspecting user -
                and might be misinterpreted by them as a Denial of
                Service attack.

                -Dave

                --- Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                > You can do all of that, but from my experience it's
                > more trouble
                > than it's worth.
                >
                > I suggest that you set up a router cablable of doing
                > a NAT translation
                > and assign a permanent internal IP. You can do with
                > with Linux and
                > don't even need a hardware router. You can use
                > Linux for the firewall
                > as well. That way, no matter what the external IP
                > is, you have an
                > internal IP that stays the same. Let the router
                > deal with the outside
                > world. There's a bit more to it than what I
                > describe, but use of
                > NAT will solve most of your problems.
                > Bill D

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Bob Applegate
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 24, 2006
                  Hi Guys,

                  I started/ran/managed an ISP from 1994 until we sold the
                  company in 2000, and have done a fair amount of IP stack
                  development (protocol stack work, not just applications).

                  Generally speaking, your Terms Of Service with your provider
                  usually prohibit you from running any kind of server, especially
                  if it's not a "business account." For a non-business account
                  where you keep the connection (ie, cable, DSL, etc), then your
                  "dynamic" address is usually pretty stable, but might change from
                  time to time. I've noticed my Comcast address changes every 6-8
                  months.

                  I have some dyndns.org addresses. They have a timeout of 60
                  seconds. So, every 60 seconds, any of those addresses expire from
                  the cache of the name server you are using, and must be refreshed.
                  Ie, if you address changes, dyndns gets updated pretty quickly,
                  **IF** you are running software on your computer to detect the change
                  and update the dyndns database in a short amount of time. The
                  refresh programs typically refresh every 10 minutes by default, but
                  that can be changed.

                  I don't know if DECnet is carried on TCP, UDP, or some other protocol,
                  but if it uses TCP, then the connect will back-off when it doesn't
                  get a reply. Ie, your chances of being deteced as a DOS attack are
                  slim. TCP is designed so that user applications don't flood the network
                  if the remote end is unavailable. For UDP based applications, this is
                  purely up to the application developer, since UDP does not guarantee
                  delivery at all, and this must be done in the application.

                  If DECnet requires every machine on the network to be visible to the
                  outside world via IP, then NAT won't work. However, if a gateway can
                  work, then use non-routable addresses inside your network (ie, 192.168.x.x)
                  and then have one machine with a NAT address acting as a gateway on the
                  dynamic address. Find some app (probably on a PC running windoze) that
                  will periodically check the router's IP and update dyndns as needed. Works
                  fine for my "dynamic" network (I also have a group of static IPs from
                  another provider as a business account).

                  BTW, how much effort is this worth? The internet doesn't seem very
                  retro to me.

                  Bob

                  NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net