Re: [midatlanticretro] High-tech "hardware"

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7 4:20 AM
      Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> writes:

      >Heh, DECMate, nice!
      >
      >Also, those are really excellent screws. I bought a 5 pound box a few
      >weekends ago to build out uneven ceiling joists that have to support
      >weight. Torx FTW!
      >
      >Jonathan

      Torx. Evan thought basic phillips screws would do but since the studs
      in those buildings are old, it's likely to require some effort to drive
      the screws. Also, decking screws are much stronger than drywall screws.
      The torx bit will help avoid stripping the head too. We looked for the
      square drive decking screws but we didn't see them.

      Those screws are 3" long. The shelf hanger brackets will consume about
      .5" of that leaving 2.5" in the stud. I'd suggest trying to drive one
      of the screws home first to see if there's need to pilot a hole when it
      comes to hanging the shelves.

      I could bring one of my lasers over to help you line up everything when
      it comes time to hanging the shelving.