card rack and backplane for my PDP-8 clone

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 12 , May 4 10:19 AM

      The card rack and backplane for my PDP-8 clone is coming along.
      http://www.rogtronics.net/blog/?p=59

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4 10:24 AM
        On Wed, 4 May 2011, Dan Roganti wrote:

        > The card rack and backplane for my PDP-8 clone is coming along.
        > http://www.rogtronics.net/blog/?p=59

        Ooooh, backplane wiring. :-) 16x44 solder connections? THAT'S
        dedication!

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 12 , May 4 11:44 AM

          On May 4, 2011 1:24 PM, "Mike Loewen" <mloewen@...> wrote:

          > On Wed, 4 May 2011, Dan Roganti wrote:
          >
          > > The card rack and backplane for my PDP-8 clone is coming along.
          > > http://www.rogtronics.net/blog/?p=59
          >
          >    Ooooh, backplane wiring.  :-)  16x44 solder connections?  THAT'S
          > dedication!

          Thanks!
          That's only the first shelf which will hold the Accumulator and Registers. I'm not sure yet how many sheves I need. As I'm still deciphering these 50yr old tech manuals and schematics, they didn't use the same wiring convention as now. So I have to translate it using the DEC Logic handbooks. Its almost like a archaeological expedition.

          =Dan

          Message 4 of 12 , May 4 11:54 AM
            > > > The card rack and backplane for my PDP-8 clone is coming along.
            > > > http://www.rogtronics.net/blog/?p=59
            > >
            > > Ooooh, backplane wiring. :-) 16x44 solder connections? THAT'S
            > > dedication!
            > > >

            > Thanks!
            > That's only the first shelf which will hold the Accumulator and
            Registers.
            > I'm not sure yet how many sheves I need. As I'm still deciphering these
            50yr
            > old tech manuals and schematics, they didn't use the same wiring
            convention
            > as now. So I have to translate it using the DEC Logic handbooks. Its
            almost
            > like a archaeological expedition.
            >
            > =Dan

            Sounds like fun, I have seen a few clones, the PDP 8 lives.
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4 12:15 PM

              On May 4, 2011 2:55 PM, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

              > Sounds like fun, I have seen a few clones, the PDP 8 lives.

              Yea, I really can't call it a replica. Even though it will be all transistors, the hardware design won't be exactly the same, but it will be software compatible.

              Someday this will run OS-8 too :)
              =Dan

              Message 6 of 12 , May 4 12:19 PM
                Bill Degnan

                > > Sounds like fun, I have seen a few clones, the PDP 8 lives.
                > >

                > Yea, I really can't call it a replica. Even though it will be all
                > transistors, the hardware design won't be exactly the same, but it will
                be
                > software compatible.
                >
                > Someday this will run OS-8 too :)
                > =Dan

                What brought this on, anyway? You never really talked about the pdp 8 much
                before, it's been all S-100 stuff.
                Bill
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 12 , May 4 1:31 PM

                  On May 4, 2011 3:19 PM, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                  > What brought this on, anyway?  You never really talked about the pdp 8 much
                  > before, it's been all S-100 stuff.

                  Oh, it all came from the Transistor Logic workshop that I'm preparing. I started looking at what different kinds of circuits can be done with the kit I'm showing, one thing led to another, and I said how about building a computer.  Well, I didn't want to build something that was incompatible, I did that before, its no fun when there's no software :) So I decided on the PDP-8 after looking around some, I almost settled on the CDC-1604, but that's a 48bit machine,whew ! A 12bit PDP-8 is enough work as it is.  :)

                  =Dan

                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 4 1:34 PM
                    On Wed, 4 May 2011, Dan Roganti wrote:

                    > Oh, it all came from the Transistor Logic workshop that I'm preparing. I
                    > started looking at what different kinds of circuits can be done with the kit
                    > I'm showing, one thing led to another, and I said how about building a
                    > computer. Well, I didn't want to build something that was incompatible, I
                    > did that before, its no fun when there's no software :) So I decided on the
                    > PDP-8 after looking around some, I almost settled on the CDC-1604, but
                    > that's a 48bit machine,whew ! A 12bit PDP-8 is enough work as it is. :)

                    What sort of memory are you shooting for?

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 4 1:37 PM

                      > > What brought this on, anyway? You never really talked about the pdp 8
                      > much
                      > > before, it's been all S-100 stuff.
                      >
                      > Oh, it all came from the Transistor Logic workshop that I'm preparing. I
                      > started looking at what different kinds of circuits can be done with the
                      kit
                      > I'm showing, one thing led to another, and I said how about building a
                      > computer. Well, I didn't want to build something that was incompatible,
                      > did that before, its no fun when there's no software :) So I decided on
                      the
                      > PDP-8 after looking around some, I almost settled on the CDC-1604, but
                      > that's a 48bit machine,whew ! A 12bit PDP-8 is enough work as it is. :)
                      >
                      > =Dan

                      Will you have the front panel and all that? The accumulator and the data
                      switches, etc.?
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 4 1:37 PM

                        > What sort of memory are you shooting for?

                        my pdp 8 has 32K.
                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 4 1:39 PM
                          On Wed, 4 May 2011, B. Degnan wrote:

                          >> What sort of memory are you shooting for?
                          >>

                          > my pdp 8 has 32K.

                          ...pictures Dan wearing magnifying goggles, stringing tiny little
                          ferrite cores...

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • Dan Roganti
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 4 11:12 PM

                            On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                            >   What sort of memory are you shooting for?

                            I haven't decided yet, but I am leaning towards using Core memory. I would need to use an existing core memory card and interface it directly to make it practical.

                            I thought about making a discrete dynamic ram using transistors and caps. But that would take a hell of a lot of transistors just to get to 4Kwords.

                            On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:37 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                            >Will you have the front panel and all that?  The accumulator and the data
                            >switches, etc.?

                            oh yea, the front panel is a must
                            I like to get a scan of the front panel
                            But I don't know if i can find the same switches.

                            On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                            On Wed, 4 May 2011, B. Degnan wrote:

                            >>     What sort of memory are you shooting for?
                            >>

                            > my pdp 8 has 32K.

                               ...pictures Dan wearing magnifying goggles, stringing tiny little
                            ferrite cores...

                            ~haahaa
                            I don't think so !
                            Some things I like to avoid that would commit me to an asylum afterwards.

                            =Dan