Free Vintage Computers in California

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2011
      I saw this posted on comp.sys.cbm.

      Wish I was anywhere close to there. Would love to have a PET !

      Evan, any chance that you have contacts in that area ?

      This is the listing:

      Albany Microcomputer Services which served the San Francisco Bay Area
      in the 1990's is cleaning up.

      Everything is FREE to a good home.

      Location is Albany, California
      Time is 1:00-3:00pm, Saturday May 7, 2011

      1. Preview at 12:30pm, Saturday May 7, 2011
      You can't take anything yet.
      2. Everybody goes back outside at 1:00pm Saturday, May 7, 2011
      3. By order of RSVP email datestamp, each person gets to pick one thing
      4. Then you go to the back of the line to pick something else

      Everything not picked up will be recycled.

      You may only take computer hardware and software and computer related
      materials. There are other things there that you may not take.

      A computer system (computer, monitor, power supply) is one item if you can
      carry it.

      Anything you can carry is one item of software or manuals

      This time it is mostly Commodore PETs and peripherals. There is very
      little Apple and a few PC's

      1 Apple IIgs
      1 MSD Super Disk Drive
      10 Commodore disk drives (4040, 8080, 2031)
      10 Commodore printers
      130 Commodore PET's (2001, 4016, 4032, 8032, big/little keyboard )
      3 acoustic modems
      20 Tymshare 100 terminals (suitcase sized remote access!)
      10 Commodore cassette recorders
      21 PS/2 model 30 PC's
      5 PC AT's
      10 Various printers
      (some of the numbers above are approximations)

      Tons of software for all of the above and more (Much of software is educational)
      This is all different software from last time.
      Some of the software is for Apple
      Many books for the above

      All computers are old. I am not sure if they work or are complete.
      Some are over 30 years old.

      No SuperPET's or educational C64's available.

      It is all untested.
      Parts may be missing.
      Monitors and power supplies may be missing (making it impossible to test)

      RSVP to alan@... and I will send you the address.
      Send the name of every person coming, so they can be added to the list.
      Please tell me what you are interested in taking.
      That way people below you can have a better idea if it is worth driving out.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2011
        Everyone has contacts there.  It's right next to Berkeley.  But you better email the guy fast; I wouldn't be surprised if 10 other people already did.

        On 05/03/2011 11:29 PM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
        Albany, California
      • Timothy J Fagan

          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2011
            I suspect that's a typo or a sick joke.

            Oh my God!!!! 130 PETs that need to be claimed or they're going to recycle?!!!