semi-OT: Compaq SLT

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2006
      Anyone have experience with the disassembly/repair of Compaq SLT
      computers? I just aquired one, and it is not seeing the hard drive. Help.

      Joe
    • Degnan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2006
        Have you tried running fdisk from a DOS boot disk? THis will tell
        you if you simply need to re-partition the drive. The previous owner
        may have formatted the drive and then de-partitioned it to make sure
        no one got to their top secret goings on.

        Do you have spinrite or norton disk doctor (v. ~6.x )?

        You should leave the system plugged in for 24 hours to see if you
        can re-charge the internal battery (may work).

        If there is an SLT reference disk available, use that to re-initialize
        the hardware. You may be an SLT reference disk image you can download
        from the internet. You'll need to make it bootable. If not possible.
        .
        Watch during the boot sequence for the special key that will initiate
        the BIOS setup utility and use it to enter the BIOS manager. Note
        that during the process of re-intializing the BIOS you may be asked
        for the harddrive type (use the internet to locate the "number" associated
        with the "harddrive type", heads, cyl's), but avoid opening the system
        unless you have no choice and need this info off the drive itself.
        If you do open the system, might as well check that the interal
        batter is still attached. I know that Compaq's internal batteries
        sometimes come undone in that era.

        There may be more specific info on the internet, I am simply suggesting
        the standard stuff to do in this situation for any PC of this era.
        If you can find documentation on this particular system review
        it before you do anything drastic.

        Bill D

        At Saturday, 21 January 2006, you wrote:

        >Anyone have experience with the disassembly/repair of Compaq SLT
        >computers? I just aquired one, and it is not seeing the hard drive.
        Help.

        >Joe
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        -- E N D --
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 22, 2006
          Joe,

          The Compaq web site has a very good archive of stuff for old systems. Search
          for your model number and you should might some useful information.

          Jim

          --- Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > Have you tried running fdisk from a DOS boot disk? THis will tell
          > you if you simply need to re-partition the drive. The previous owner
          > may have formatted the drive and then de-partitioned it to make sure
          > no one got to their top secret goings on.
          >
          > Do you have spinrite or norton disk doctor (v. ~6.x )?
          >
          > You should leave the system plugged in for 24 hours to see if you
          > can re-charge the internal battery (may work).
          >
          > If there is an SLT reference disk available, use that to re-initialize
          > the hardware. You may be an SLT reference disk image you can download
          > from the internet. You'll need to make it bootable. If not possible.
          > .
          > Watch during the boot sequence for the special key that will initiate
          > the BIOS setup utility and use it to enter the BIOS manager. Note
          > that during the process of re-intializing the BIOS you may be asked
          > for the harddrive type (use the internet to locate the "number" associated
          > with the "harddrive type", heads, cyl's), but avoid opening the system
          > unless you have no choice and need this info off the drive itself.
          > If you do open the system, might as well check that the interal
          > batter is still attached. I know that Compaq's internal batteries
          > sometimes come undone in that era.
          >
          > There may be more specific info on the internet, I am simply suggesting
          > the standard stuff to do in this situation for any PC of this era.
          > If you can find documentation on this particular system review
          > it before you do anything drastic.
          >
          > Bill D
          >
          > At Saturday, 21 January 2006, you wrote:
          >
          > >Anyone have experience with the disassembly/repair of Compaq SLT
          > >computers? I just aquired one, and it is not seeing the hard drive.
          > Help.
          > >
          > >Joe
          > >
          > >Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > -- E N D --
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 22, 2006
            Jim Scheef wrote:

            >Joe,
            >
            >The Compaq web site has a very good archive of stuff for old systems. Search
            >for your model number and you should might some useful information.
            >
            >Jim

            Compaq barely has any info for this PC on the page. Nothing at all,
            except that it is in existance. When I try to run fdisk, from both DOS
            3.2 and DOS 6.22 on floppy, it gives me this:
            Error reading fixed disk.
            A:\>
            During startup, after the memory check, I get the following error messages:

            1782 - Disk Controller Failure
            167 - RTC Lost Power
            162 - System Options Not Set - (Run Setup)
            Insert DIAGNOSTIC diskette in Drive A:

            (RESUME = "F1" KEY)

            I don't know what to do. I need a reference disk, or whatever the Compaq
            equivalent is to run the system diagnostics. I tried to open it up to
            have a look at the hard drive, but I couldn't figure out how.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 22, 2006
              Joe,

              Ah ha! The message "RTC lost power" means that the CMOS battery is dead and
              needs to be replaced. Start removing the easy stuff, like the main battery,
              and look for removable hatches anywhere that might hide the battery. If you
              are lucky, it will be fairly easy to access and replace. However, in my last
              Winbook the battery was so well hidden that it was "not user replaceable" and
              I had to send the unit in for service just to have it replaced.

              Once the CMOS has power you will be able to set the hard drive options and
              get the machine up and running. Go to the HP/Compaq web site, search for your
              model and download everthing you can find. You might find instructions on how
              to open the system up for service (like replacing the hard drive). Also
              search for your model on Google/Yahoo. There are many web sites with info on
              how to modify laptops.

              If you decide to try to open the laptop they often hide screws under the
              rubber feet on the bottom of the case and under the plastic sheet with the
              model number, power info, etc. Feel with your finger for a soft spot under
              that area to find the screws. Remove all the screws you can find and slowly
              pry open the case using a dull knife to split the case at the joints. Work
              slowly as there are often plastic tabs that interlock to hold the case
              together and you don't want to break those tabs. If the case does not start
              to split fairly easily, there are probably more screws. Just remember that if
              the service guys can open the case, you can, too. The only advantage they
              have is experience and the right tools. <g> Work slowly and don't force
              anything.

              One more hint: sometimes the screen must be removed before you can split the
              case to open the unit.