Re: [midatlanticretro] Speech synthesis on the S100

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3 5:10 PM
      I've got some of the speech synth chips used with the Speak n Spell et al (they were also used in an IBM 8-bit ISA voice synth card...of which I was given probably 15-20 by the local school board when in middle school). That might be an interesting use for them!

      I've got one of the N8VEM S-100 boards, but only have plans to populate the serial and parallel I/O controllers. Planning on using the 8530 in my 8085 SBC, and I'll be using the 8255 in an upcoming Apple II related project...

      Jonathan

      Message 2 of 11 , May 3 5:32 PM
        How about rigging the Tandy VOX Box to an S-100 system?

        http://vintagecomputer.net/tandy/trs80_1/VoxBox/

        Bill

        At 08:10 PM 5/3/2011, you wrote:
        >I've got some of the speech synth chips used
        >with the Speak n Spell et al (they were also
        >used in an IBM 8-bit ISA voice synth card...of
        >which I was given probably 15-20 by the local
        >school board when in middle school). That might be an interesting use for them!
        >
        >I've got one of the N8VEM S-100 boards, but only
        >have plans to populate the serial and parallel
        >I/O controllers. Planning on using the 8530 in
        >my 8085 SBC, and I'll be using the 8255 in an
        >upcoming Apple II related project...
        >
        >Jonathan
        >
        >On Tue, 03 May 2011 19:58:36 -0400
        >Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
        >
        > > All --
        > >
        > > The thread from Bill on the Dazzler and his Digitalker board got me
        > > thinking a bit. Has anyone hacked together a decent speech solution? I know
        > > that S100Computers has a multi-I/O+speech
        > board using the V-Speech chip, but
        > > the speech chip is expensive ($75). I bought two SpeakJet chips from Spark
        > > Fun Electronics (the synthesizer and the TTS chip) for about $20 but I
        > > haven¹t done anything with them yet. I also have some GI chips and a
        > > Digitalker chipset ³in stock².
        > >
        > > Ahhh, the next project...
        > >
        > > Rich
        > >
        > > --
        > > Rich Cini
        > > Collector of Classic Computers
        > > Build Master and lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
        > > http://www.altair32.com
        > > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini

      • Richard Cini
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3 5:41 PM
          Re: [midatlanticretro] Speech synthesis on the S100 On 5/3/11 8:10 PM, "Systems Glitch" <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

          I've got some of the speech synth chips used with the Speak n Spell et al (they were also used in an IBM 8-bit ISA voice synth card...of which I was given probably 15-20 by the local school board when in middle school). That might be an interesting use for them!

          This would be interesting. I wonder if an ISA->S100 bridge board would work. I have a long-ISA card from BG Micro with an SP0256-AL2 on it.

          Rich
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3 7:59 PM
            On Tue, 3 May 2011, Systems Glitch wrote:

            > I've got some of the speech synth chips used with the Speak n Spell et
            > al (they were also used in an IBM 8-bit ISA voice synth card...of which
            > I was given probably 15-20 by the local school board when in middle
            > school). That might be an interesting use for them!

            There was a magazine article (Byte?) back in the day which described
            how to connect a Speak-N-Spell to the TRS-80 Model III expansion bus. I
            have a hard copy around, somewhere. And a Speak-N-Spell...

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3 8:02 PM
              > There was a magazine article (Byte?) back in the day which described how to connect a Speak-N-Spell to the TRS-80 Model III expansion bus. I have a hard copy around, somewhere. And a Speak-N-Spell...

              Hold on, I happen to have the Feb. 83 issue of "Computers & Electronics"
              right here ..... going to scan the cover for you .... you'll like it.
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3 8:05 PM
                >> There was a magazine article (Byte?) back in the day which described how to connect a Speak-N-Spell to the TRS-80 Model III expansion bus. I have a hard copy around, somewhere. And a Speak-N-Spell...
                > Hold on, I happen to have the Feb. 83 issue of "Computers& Electronics" right here ..... going to scan the cover for you .... you'll like it.

                Will this article help?
                http://snarc.net/speech.jpg
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3 8:07 PM
                  On Tue, 3 May 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  >>> There was a magazine article (Byte?) back in the day which described how to connect a Speak-N-Spell to the TRS-80 Model III expansion bus. I have a hard copy around, somewhere. And a Speak-N-Spell...
                  >> Hold on, I happen to have the Feb. 83 issue of "Computers& Electronics" right here ..... going to scan the cover for you .... you'll like it.
                  >
                  > Will this article help?
                  > http://snarc.net/speech.jpg

                  That might be it.

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3 8:10 PM
                    >>> Hold on, I happen to have the Feb. 83 issue of "Computers& Electronics" right here ..... going to scan the cover for you .... you'll like it.
                    >> Will this article help?
                    >> http://snarc.net/speech.jpg
                    > That might be it.

                    False alarm. This article shows how to connect the S&S to a Sinclair.
                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3 8:17 PM

                      >>> Will this article help?
                      >>> http://snarc.net/speech.jpg
                      >> That might be it.
                      >

                      > False alarm. This article shows how to connect the S&S to a Sinclair.

                      It's also available online:

                      http://www.99er.net/files/talkcheap.pdf
                      http://sites.google.com/site/analogvocoderinfo/speak-spell

                      That might be what I was thinking of, though. I'll have to dig through
                      the files. The second link mentions the Percom "Speak-2-Me-2" interface
                      which installed in the battery compartment of the Speak-N-Spell and
                      connected to the TRS-80 expansion bus.

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4 5:25 AM