Speech synthesis on the S100

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2011
      Speech synthesis on the S100 All --

          The thread from Bill on the Dazzler and his Digitalker board got me thinking a bit. Has anyone hacked together a decent speech solution? I know that S100Computers has a multi-I/O+speech board using the V-Speech chip, but the speech chip is expensive ($75). I bought two SpeakJet chips from Spark Fun Electronics (the synthesizer and the TTS chip) for about $20 but I haven’t done anything with them yet. I also have some GI chips and a Digitalker chipset “in stock”.

          Ahhh, the next project...

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2011
        I've got some of the speech synth chips used with the Speak n Spell et al (they were also used in an IBM 8-bit ISA voice synth card...of which I was given probably 15-20 by the local school board when in middle school). That might be an interesting use for them!

        I've got one of the N8VEM S-100 boards, but only have plans to populate the serial and parallel I/O controllers. Planning on using the 8530 in my 8085 SBC, and I'll be using the 8255 in an upcoming Apple II related project...

        Jonathan

        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2011
          How about rigging the Tandy VOX Box to an S-100 system?

          http://vintagecomputer.net/tandy/trs80_1/VoxBox/

          Bill

          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2011
            Re: [midatlanticretro] Speech synthesis on the S100 On 5/3/11 8:10 PM, "Systems Glitch" <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

            I've got some of the speech synth chips used with the Speak n Spell et al (they were also used in an IBM 8-bit ISA voice synth card...of which I was given probably 15-20 by the local school board when in middle school). That might be an interesting use for them!

            This would be interesting. I wonder if an ISA->S100 bridge board would work. I have a long-ISA card from BG Micro with an SP0256-AL2 on it.

            Rich
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2011
              On Tue, 3 May 2011, Systems Glitch wrote:

              > I've got some of the speech synth chips used with the Speak n Spell et
              > al (they were also used in an IBM 8-bit ISA voice synth card...of which
              > I was given probably 15-20 by the local school board when in middle
              > school). That might be an interesting use for them!

              There was a magazine article (Byte?) back in the day which described
              how to connect a Speak-N-Spell to the TRS-80 Model III expansion bus. I
              have a hard copy around, somewhere. And a Speak-N-Spell...

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2011
                > There was a magazine article (Byte?) back in the day which described how to connect a Speak-N-Spell to the TRS-80 Model III expansion bus. I have a hard copy around, somewhere. And a Speak-N-Spell...

                Hold on, I happen to have the Feb. 83 issue of "Computers & Electronics"
                right here ..... going to scan the cover for you .... you'll like it.
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2011
                  >> There was a magazine article (Byte?) back in the day which described how to connect a Speak-N-Spell to the TRS-80 Model III expansion bus. I have a hard copy around, somewhere. And a Speak-N-Spell...
                  > Hold on, I happen to have the Feb. 83 issue of "Computers& Electronics" right here ..... going to scan the cover for you .... you'll like it.

                  Will this article help?
                  http://snarc.net/speech.jpg
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2011
                    On Tue, 3 May 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    >>> There was a magazine article (Byte?) back in the day which described how to connect a Speak-N-Spell to the TRS-80 Model III expansion bus. I have a hard copy around, somewhere. And a Speak-N-Spell...
                    >> Hold on, I happen to have the Feb. 83 issue of "Computers& Electronics" right here ..... going to scan the cover for you .... you'll like it.
                    >
                    > Will this article help?
                    > http://snarc.net/speech.jpg

                    That might be it.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3, 2011
                      >>> Hold on, I happen to have the Feb. 83 issue of "Computers& Electronics" right here ..... going to scan the cover for you .... you'll like it.
                      >> Will this article help?
                      >> http://snarc.net/speech.jpg
                      > That might be it.

                      False alarm. This article shows how to connect the S&S to a Sinclair.
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 3, 2011

                        >>> Will this article help?
                        >>> http://snarc.net/speech.jpg
                        >> That might be it.
                        >

                        > False alarm. This article shows how to connect the S&S to a Sinclair.

                        It's also available online:

                        http://www.99er.net/files/talkcheap.pdf
                        http://sites.google.com/site/analogvocoderinfo/speak-spell

                        That might be what I was thinking of, though. I'll have to dig through
                        the files. The second link mentions the Percom "Speak-2-Me-2" interface
                        which installed in the battery compartment of the Speak-N-Spell and
                        connected to the TRS-80 expansion bus.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 4, 2011