Re: ray borrill and the data domain

  • jack99rubin
    Message 1 of 48 , May 3, 2011
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Molloy <awmolloy@...> wrote:

      > I put together a small tribute site to Ray Borrill and his Data Domain
      > store. Ray was a VCFer and sold his Apple-1 at VCF 4.0 in 2000 on the
      > west coast. He had tons of interesting stories and opened one of the
      > early retail computer stores in the US back in 1976. Worked with Willy
      > Higinbotham, Bob Spinrad, Mike Swaine and Ted Nelson, among others.
      >
      > http://www.landsnail.com/thedatadomain/
      >
      > He was going to attend VCF East a few years back but had to back out
      > for health reasons.
      >
      > Andy

      Andy,

      Thanks so much for this tribute! itty bitty machine shop (ibm) was right near me in Evanston (the other early shop was Jacob Farber's Lillipute in Skokie) when I was just entering the microworld in the late '70s. I drove past it a couple of times but never went in before they closed. I've got to admit that I was pretty much a minicomputer snob until I got my first microcomputer - an early Osborne 1, followed shortly after by an IMSAI. By then,ibm had closed. I got the Osborne (first or second in the Chicago area) from Computerland of Niles and the IMSAI from a Heath technician in Benton Harbor. By that time, I was an IT "pro" at USRobotics and bought most of my CompuPro gear assembled and integrated from Gifford Systems. Aftermarket stuff generally came from Priority One.

      I'd spoken with Ray several times over the years - I first called him in 1985 - but never met him until the West Coast VCF.

      Good to read his posts. I got a good chuckle out of his comments about Maury Goldberg (MiniMicroMart). Lots more to read.

      best,
      Jack
    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 48 of 48 , Jun 24 5:00 PM

        I have a Dremel, but I tend to make a mess with it.