Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM PC first production run Q/A

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 19, 2006
      Bill,

      The PC/XT is still with us. The basic architecture of the original IBM PC is
      still in every PC today. The fact that you can boot from a DOS diskette
      proves that. My Acer Ferrari laptop with its AMD 64-bit processor would boot
      from a DOS diskette if it had a floppy drive. Running in DOS you'll find the
      BIOS still there in the 64k segment just below the 1M limit of the 8086/8
      memory address space (a bone-headed decision). Even the mighty (at the time)
      IBM could not stop the inertia behind the PC architecture. In fact the PS/2
      was one of the things that led to IBM's downfall - the user base was not
      ready for change.

      I never really enjoyed history until I started reading the history of the
      computer industry.

      Jim