Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Need 3B2/310 Help!

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3 5:21 AM
      --- On Tue, 5/3/11, epsilonprocess <als@...> wrote:

      > See photo: http://home.prog.fm/3b2-ps1.jpg

      The capacitor of which I speak is directly in front of the AC line filter, and between the transformer in the middle and the heat sink on the left.

      Check to see if it's blown - but you should have noticed it if it was, there would be a lot of soot marks on the board.

      -Ian
    • epsilonprocess
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3 6:45 AM
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...>
        wrote:

        > --- On Tue, 5/3/11, epsilonprocess als@... wrote:
        >
        > > The cover was on when it started smoking, so the smoke I
        > > saw came out of the floppy drive opening but I can't be sure
        > > it was the floppy that was the issue. What I might do is try
        > > to fire up the floppy drive using a standard ATX supply to
        > > see if it still works.
        >
        > I'm going to doubt there is actually a problem with the floppy drive
        itself. More than likely, that was just a convenient exit for the smoke.

        That's what I was thinking. I'll give it a quick test at some point.

        > > However, I did find where there was OBVIOUS damage on the
        > > system board power supply connector. While I can't be 100%
        > > certain this wasn't there before, I would go with the fact
        > > that it happened as a result of whatever caused the smoke.
        > > Unfortunately, I can't find any sign of a short...yet,
        > > anyway.
        > >
        > > See photo: http://home.prog.fm/3b2-ps1.jpg
        >
        > That's odd - and it's not burned in the way that connectors like this
        usually fail. It's almost as if something conductive fell there and
        burned away.

        The red connector that has all the wires is undamaged. The white
        connector on the board itself took all the damage and there's some
        bubbling underneath on the PCB. Not sure if the traces are broken. I'll
        have to test with a meter.

        > > What I found odd was that measuring the resistance between
        > > the red wire bundle and the blue (or ground) there is only
        > > 20ohms of resistance, while measuring the yellow bundle to
        > > blue (or ground) is almost an open. Is that normal even
        > > though I got a clean +12v and +5v? Oh and, I measured while
        > > the system board power was still connected BEFORE I noticed
        > > the damaged connector.
        > >
        > > I also didn't see any obvious caps blown on the power
        > > supply. Where is the square cap located approximately?
        >
        > It should be fairly near the power input. These caps of which I speak
        are AC line safety capacitors. They're this clearish yellow color, and
        look a bit like a board mount relay. When they fail, they fail shorted,
        and blow open, spewing TONS of smoke - and they tend to fail the first
        time a machine has been powered on in a long time. I'm not even 100%
        sure that power supply has them, it's just that your description of the
        failure sounds so much like what I've seen in several other machines.

        I'll take a closer look, but I didn't see any damage on the power supply
        itself. That's the first place I looked. Would the power supply even
        work and give anything close to +5 and +12 volts with that cap blown?

        > Now, you say you get clean +5 and +12... does the computer work? Does
        the power LED come on? The diagnostic LED should come on until it's
        finished with it's internal self test, which it won't pass if the
        battery is flat.

        > That burn on the board is odd. Have you checked between the power pins
        on that connector for shorts on the board? Also, if you have been
        testing the power supply unloaded (disconnected from the board and
        drives), you might be getting false readings. If there is something
        wrong with the power supply, it's possible to have it put out the right
        voltages (or nearly right), until you put a load on it, at which point,
        it goes into shutdown. I usually use a couple of junk PC IDE hard drives
        as a load - plug the power connectors in and turn on the supply, and the
        drives should spin up, then check your voltages.

        I took the readings with the floppy and hard drive disconnected, but
        with the system board connected. I didn't see the damage on the
        connector until I dismantled the system board/expansion cage, but there
        was no further smoking. I did later plug in the hard drive with the
        system board disconnected, and it did spin up, though I didn't take any
        readings with it connected. I'll have to do that.

        With the system board connected, the green LED lights up. If the reset
        button is pressed, the green LED flashes then goes solid again. There's
        only a red LED next to the green one that I figured was the hard disk.
        Is that the diagnostic LED? If so, that one never lit up. Also, the
        rocker switch on the power supply has "diagnostic" position that
        doesn't seem to do anything. The power supply only seems to work in the
        "on" position. Is it supposed to do anything in "diagnostic" ?

        At no point did the system POST anything to the terminal. It's a 610
        terminal set to 9600/8/n/1. I didn't check the battery level. I'll have
        to do that as well. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get to the shop
        tonight or this week. Let you know what else I find.

        Thanks,

        Anthony
      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3 8:47 AM
          --- On Tue, 5/3/11, epsilonprocess <als@...> wrote:

          > I took the readings with the floppy and hard drive
          > disconnected, but
          > with the system board connected. I didn't see the damage on
          > the
          > connector until I dismantled the system board/expansion
          > cage, but there
          > was no further smoking. I did later plug in the hard drive
          > with the
          > system board disconnected, and it did spin up, though I
          > didn't take any
          > readings with it connected. I'll have to do that.

          OK, then it really sounds like your power supply is OK. Check carefully the burned area, and see if any of the traces were damaged. Also see if you can figure out what might have caused it - if there is a burned screw rattling around in there or something. That's not the way power connectors usually burn - they usually darken and discolor in one spot, and burn the associated wiring harness plug too. That looks like something fell in there and shorted it out then burned.

          > With the system board connected, the green LED lights up.
          > If the reset
          > button is pressed, the green LED flashes then goes solid
          > again. There's
          > only a red LED next to the green one that I figured was the
          > hard disk.
          > Is that the diagnostic LED? If so, that one never lit up.

          There are two LED's on the front, the left one is green (power), and the right one is amber/red (Diagnostic). There is no hard disk light.

          > At no point did the system POST anything to the terminal.
          > It's a 610
          > terminal set to 9600/8/n/1. I didn't check the battery
          > level. I'll have
          > to do that as well. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get to
          > the shop
          > tonight or this week. Let you know what else I find.

          Are you sure the cable is wired correctly? Do you have a "christmas tree box", with the little lights that you can put on the RS232 line to see if there is any activity at all?

          -Ian
        • epsilonprocess
          Message 4 of 10 , May 8 12:22 AM
            Latest on the 3B2...

            I exhaustively checked the power supply and everything seemed good. So I swapped system boards and voilĂ , the new one POSTed to the terminal with a NVRAM error.

            Tested the battery and it's completely dead. Looks like a pretty easy to find 3.6V lithium backup battery.

            So apparently something went horribly wrong with the original board. Would still like to troubleshoot it at some point.

            In any case, after that, couldn't get any of the hard drives to boot. Went into firmware mode and tried to boot one of the floppy disks, but I get nothing but CRC errors.

            Soooo...

            In my box of spare parts, seems like I was also given a SCSI HA board, so on ebay I grabbed a 327MB SCSI drive, a spare 4MB memory board, and to be safe, a replacement floppy drive, from apparently someone involved with the SDF 3B2's out in Seattle. Everything is supposed to be tested working, so fingers crossed. He told me the HD will have 3.2.3 pre-installed with the SCSI drivers so I should be good to go. I got so many floppies with the system, so hopefully I can find the 5620-related stuff. No idea if the floppies are still readable after all this time.

            In any case, if I do manage to bring all this stuff down to VCF, it might end up being a live restoration.

            Also, wanted to ask what the differnece was (other than the obvious visible differences) between the two boards. The one that ended up working has the power supply connector on the other side and one missing screw hole at the bottom (meaning I have to insulate the standoff so it doesn't short). From what I read, the /310 has the WE32100 while the /300 had the WE32000. Couldn't really read the chips on the swapped board, but the one that fried clearly has the WE32100.

            Old broken board: http://home.prog.fm/3b2-sb2.jpg
            New board: http://home.prog.fm/3b2-sb1.jpg

            BTW one of the things I tried was swapping the PROM's but that didn't make a difference. So you're seeing the old PROM's on the new board and vice-versa.