MARCH's IMSAI 8080 auction

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 30, 2011
      Ebay item #270739896050 is the working IMSAI 8080 we're selling on behalf of a friend-of-MARCH who was recently widowed and needs the money. 12 hours 52 minutes left and it's already past $1,100. I am looking forward to calling her to say we're sending a big check. (Special thanks to Bill Deg. for fixing it, and to my dad for doing the rescue in his SUV!)
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 30, 2011
        Well I got outbid @ $700.00..
        After that I really don't have that much money to spend.
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 30, 2011
          I bought a foot of 3/8" OD  1/4" ID plastic tubing from the hardware store and inserted over the print hammer head (with the old rubber pad removed).  Seems to work great...any comments?  Anyone done this see any long-term damage?
          Bill
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 30, 2011
            On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

            I bought a foot of 3/8" OD  1/4" ID plastic tubing from the hardware store and inserted over the print hammer head (with the old rubber pad removed).  Seems to work great...any comments?  Anyone done this see any long-term damage?

            I do the same thing on pinball games, I use the black hard rubber tubing, they take the extreme abuse from the mechanical parts and the pinball itself.

          • David Gesswein
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 30, 2011
              On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 06:40:25PM -0400, B Degnan wrote:
              > I bought a foot of 3/8" OD 1/4" ID plastic tubing from the hardware
              > store and inserted over the print hammer head (with the old rubber
              > pad removed). Seems to work great...any comments? Anyone done this
              > see any long-term damage?
              > Bill

              Thats the common solution. The person I got a replacement typewheel
              sent a piece of the clear plastic tubing for that purpose.
            • Bill Sudbrink
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 30, 2011

                That is one common solution.  The other, that I have used, is to use an adhesive backed

                rubber foot.  At the suggestion of a local RTTY guy, I added heat shrink tube over the

                hammer and foot to be sure the foot remains in place.  This has worked and the shrink

                tube shows no sign of wear so far. There is no sign of any damage to the type cylinder.

                I’ve used maybe a quarter roll of paper.

                I bought a foot of 3/8" OD  1/4" ID plastic tubing from the hardware store and inserted over the print hammer head (with the old rubber pad removed).  Seems to work great...any comments?  Anyone done this see any long-term damage?
                Bill

                No virus found in this message.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 30, 2011
                    >>> Ebay item #270739896050 is the working IMSAI 8080 we're selling on
                    behalf of a friend-of-MARCH who was recently widowed and needs the
                    money. 12 hours 52 minutes left and it's already past $1,100.

                    Holy crap, it sold for $2,205.
                  • Christopher Blackmon
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 30, 2011
                      What recession?
                      cb

                      >>> Ebay item #270739896050 is the working IMSAI 8080 we're selling on

                      behalf of a friend-of-MARCH who was recently widowed and needs the
                      money. 12 hours 52 minutes left and it's already past $1,100.

                      Holy crap, it sold for $2,205.

                    • Timothy Fagan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 30, 2011
                        Excellent news!!! Congrats!

                        On Apr 30, 2011, at 10:57 PM, Christopher Blackmon wrote:

                        What recession?
                        cb

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 30, 2011
                          Buyer is someone from the west coast who is a programmer at IBM.  Not anyone we know from the hobby.  That's all I can say.

                          On 04/30/2011 11:53 PM, Timothy Fagan wrote: Excellent news!!! Congrats!

                          On Apr 30, 2011, at 10:57 PM, Christopher Blackmon wrote:

                          What recession?
                          cb

                          >>> Ebay item #270739896050 is the working IMSAI 8080 we're selling on
                          behalf of a friend-of-MARCH who was recently widowed and needs the
                          money. 12 hours 52 minutes left and it's already past $1,100.

                          Holy crap, it sold for $2,205.

                          ._,___
                        • Christian Liendo
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 1 5:12 AM
                            It went for the money it went for because it was clean and it works...
                            Most of the stuff you see on Ebay is "not tested"..
                            Bill added a lot a value to that machine when he cleaned it up and fixed it..

                            Kudos to Bill as he made that happen.
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 1 5:41 AM
                              It wasn't just me.

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 1 5:46 AM
                                >>> It wasn't just me.

                                True. I watched and asked a lot of dumb questions!

                                (Bill Drom. helped, and I think one other person, but I forget ... also Bill(s) tried a bunch of RAM boards that were organized thanks to Jeff J.)
                              • Christian Liendo
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 1 4:58 PM
                                  Ok.. It was a group effort...
                                  The reality is that you gentleman made that auction..

                                  Had that been put up as is it would have been much cheaper

                                  Example:
                                  320687704407 Sold April 25 for $859.00
                                  270734158773 Sold April 17 for $805.00

                                  Kudos gentleman... You made good on your promise to that woman.

                                  --- On Sun, 5/1/11, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 1 6:42 PM
                                    you're all welcome...