Re: [midatlanticretro] weekend report

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2011
      Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

      >Busy as usual lately!
      >
      >Yesterday: - someone picked up five teletypes - I made seven new museum
      >posters
      >
      >Today: - accepted delivery of two DEC Rainbows (one original, one
      >Rainbow 100) - sorted a few more boxes of used computer books that
      >arrived this week - Jeff B. and I finished putting the right computers
      >in the right rooms / desks - Rainbow needs a serial cable - I think it's
      >a 15-ping male to 9-pin female, but I have to double-check - Atari 800

      DEC, in those days, used standard RS232 25 pin Ds for serial communication.
      When they did use 9 pin Ds, its mapping was NOT like that of the IBM 9 pin
      D RS232 configuration. Pins 1-8 on the 9 pin corresponded with pins 1-8 on
      the 25 pin RS232 designation. Pin 9 corresponded to pin 20. Do youselves
      a favor and keep the IBM PeeCee comms away from the old DEC kit. There is
      a likelihood of frying the drivers for the modem handshaking if you do.

      That 15 pin connector is NOT serial. If it sits next to two 25 pin jacks,
      one male, one female (IIRC), that is the video connection. If it sits on
      the extreme right, it is a later option for networking -- that connector
      is an AUI ethernet connector. Connecting either of these incorrectly to
      a serial comms device will very likely render them landfill fodder.